Chapter Fifteen

"Ready?"  Prue asked in a low voice as she lit the candle in the center of the table.

"Yes," Lettie said bravely.

"I need your necklace to use as a talisman."

"No," Nathanial stopped Lettie from handing it to her, and everyone looked at him.

"It's her only protection from Jael. You can hold it while she wears it." Nathanial's tone held a firmness that Prue didn't argue with.

Lettie wrapped her necklace around her wrist, allowing Prue to gasp the stone.

Prue closed her eyes and began to chant in a language Lettie had never heard before. Prue was so small in height and stature and spoke so casually, it was easy to forget she was once a powerful witch Nathanial made a five-hundred-year oath. However, at that moment as Prue chanted her voice and eyes began to reflect the age-old power inside her she looked nearly ethereal. It, she was mesmerizing.

The energy in the room started to shift increasingly with each verse Prue spoke. The air felt colder, and a chill went down Lettie's spine.

The candle began to flicker, and the table started to shake. Prue spoke louder and louder, and thunder roared in the distance. The candle went out, and the room went black as night.

Lettie pulled the necklace back from Prue, using its light to illuminate the room. Around the table sat Nyx, Nathanial, and Prue.

"Ella? Are you with us?" Prue asked in a deep and confident tone. "I'm here with Olette,  and we seek answers."

"You are wrong -you should not be." Lettie recognized the raspy albeit whispery tone as Ella's, however as she looked around frantically, she didn't see her.

"I had a vision; I took precautions to keep it safe." Prue rise to her feet. "Don't let the world or Lettie suffer because I broke a rule. We need you now, sister."

"I'm not of your coven."

"We are still connected; all of us are connected," Prue argued. "It's why I had to hide. I will protect her. I have all these years."

"We shall see about that."

The voice was closer now, and Lettie gasped when she suddenly saw Ella across from her. Her face was as clear as day but her body was blurry; and hard to see. She wasn't sitting at the table like the rest of them, it was like she was hovering there.

"Ella?" Lettie whispered.

"Do not be afraid, child," Ella spoke directly to her. 

"I am though Ella, I'm so afraid," Lettie spoke softly. "We don't know what to do and we need your help."

"When the time comes, you will know what you must do."

"How?"

"Your mother, Lailah, set everything in motion, child. You needn't worry."

"But how!?" Lettie asked anxiously.

"What about the choice? Why didn't she make the choice?" Prue demanded.

"Who are you, who had the audacity to defy our very nature, to question me?" Ella asked her.

"These species rivalries were old five hundred years ago," Prue scoffed. "Can we just not?"

"You turned yourself into a vampire you defied all of us by doing that. You defied nature!"

"Did I?" Prue snapped. "Oops."

"Prue," Nyx scolded her but she ignored him. 

"What I have done, Ella, is saved countless vampires from falling into Lilith's clutches. I taught them control over their blood lust, in turn saving countless humans from being fed on to death. In addition to that, I continue to save humans, from the rebellious street vampires, who toy with  and torture them." Prue stood up taller as she continued. "And I know these street vampires aren't an accident. They can claim to be a rebellion against the order all they want. Its a lie. They work for the order."