2 - secrets

It's finally the first day on the job. I look in the mirror in my apartment, admiring myself in the new uniform. It's nothing special—a simple tight black t-shirt, a name tag which I printed and stuck my name on, and a Slavic-inspired head scarf to get my hair out of my face. I put on some black baggy jeans and sneakers. I grab my keys and phone and leave my apartment. Thankfully, I live a 10 minute walk away from the bar.

After the quick walk I arrived at the bar, and it's quite busy. Men and women chatted away, some more drunk than others. I walk over to the bar to see Oliver.

"Ah, heya Y/n! Excited for your first day?"
"I am, Oliver. So, what have you got for me?"

Oliver explains what I should do—serving customers and making friendly conversation is crucial, simple enough. I grab the notepad and pen from Oliver and go around taking orders. As the evening went on, I heard the now familiar chime of the entrance bell. I turn to the door, greeting the customers.

"Welcome! Where would you like—" I see that it's the man with the mask, only this time he's not alone, another man is with him, "to be seated?"

As the man with the Mohawk opens his mouth to speak, Oliver interjects.

"Oh, Y/n, they always sit at that booth," Oliver points out a table that is farthest away from everything, "they're regulars."

I nod and look back to the men.

"Follow me, please."

We walk over to the table and they sit down. They haven't said a word yet.

"I'm Y/n and I'll be your waitress for this evening. What would you like?"
"We'd like a whisky and a pint of beer, please," Mohawk spoke with a thick Scottish accent, and I wrote down their order.
"Right away, sir."

Oliver had already prepared the drinks for them since apparently they always drink the same thing. I also found out that they've been regulars for a month, and that they have been coming in every evening.

I bring the drinks to them and place them on the table.

"Sorry for prying, but are you new?"
"Ah, yes, is it that obvious?"

Mohawk chuckles, "it is. I'm guessing you started working here recently?"
"I got hired yesterday, actually."

He nods and shares a glance with the masked man, which was almost easy to miss. But I saw it.

"That's surprising, considering that the bar wasn't looking for new employees," the masked man spoke, his eyes piercing through me. I feel nervous for some reason, it seems like he's trying to make me say something, but I have nothing to hide so I'm confused about his hostile attitude towards me.
"Really? I found a flyer saying that they were."
"Do you have it?"
"No, not anymore."

The masked man broke eye contact with me and looked at Mohawk.

"We were just curious, sorry for keeping you away from work, lass."
"Oh, it's no problem at all," I lean in closer to them so only they can hear, "it's actually part of my job to talk to people."

Mohawk smiles, surprised, "that's good to know. We'll be talking to you more often, then."
"Looking forward to it," I turn to walk away but come back, "what are your names, by the way?"

The masked man glared at me, making me regret asking, but Mohawk answered.

"I'm Joe and he's Tom."
"Nice to meet you, Joe, Tom," I grin and walk away to serve other people.

It's currently 00:35, my shift ends in 25 minutes. The whole night I've been conversing and serving customers, some of them were a bit too touchy for my taste, but what can you do? I, of course, know my boundaries and would not hesitate to sock someone in the face if they touched me somewhere they weren't supposed to, even if it meant losing this job, but the touchy customers just hugged me roughly, that's about it. I hate physical contact from people I don't care about, but it was bearable.