12 - solace

Months.

It had been two months since that incident.

South Carolina is a welcoming place. I've been staying at a run down apartment, working as a gas station cashier. Although I don't have any of my old belongings, or my identifications, I'm still happy with what I've got.

My scars attracted a lot of unwanted attention, but I'm learning to live with them. They'll fade soon enough.

"Juli, go take your break," my manager says. An older man; he's short, stubby, and has a mustache. He was kind enough to give me a job after I tried to steal food.

"Alright."

The name 'Juli' I chose randomly. I decided to completely renew my life, start from scratch. I should've done this long ago. Obviously if I keep my old name my past will still follow.

I choose some snacks and a water and before I can go into the break room, the door jingles. A man, who's wearing a black hoodie and jeans, enters the store. He's quite tall and buff. His face is handsome. Dark features. A scar in the corner of his mouth.

How did he find me?

Once his gaze meets mine, his eyes widen. I don't get a good look at his expression because I try to quickly reach the break room. Not now. Not here.

"Y/N," he calls after me, which only makes me speed up the pace.

I underestimated how fast that guy can be.

He grabs my arm, not too roughly but with enough strength to stop me from escaping.

"Are you okay there, Juli? Do you need me to kick him out?" Manager asks from behind the cash register. He looks like he's ready to fight Simon, which I would laugh at if it were not this particular situation.

I turn to shoot him a tight smile. "I'm fine, Bob. Don't worry. I know him."

Bob nods, still keeping a watchful eye on Simon.

I don't look at the man holding my arm. I can't.

"Let's go outside," I say quietly, and he loosens his grip.

I don't know what he's thinking, as always.

We leave the store, walking towards the back of the building away from prying eyes. I look anywhere but at him.

"Are you not going to explain?" He asks, his voice a bit strained.

I roll my eyes, "I don't really owe you an explanation, do I?"

He scoffs. "You disappeared for all these months. We thought you were dead. You didn't think to reach out?" His voice rose slightly with each sentence.

I fiddle with my fingers. I can't find the voice to answer him.

"Look at me," he says softly.

I shake my head, still picking at my fingers. His big hands cover my own.

"Please, look at me." He places a hand on my cheek, but doesn't force me to do as he says.

I finally look at him.

And I really see him.

The man I fell in love with.

"I finally found you." He looks at me with the same gaze he held when we first kissed. Restraint and affection.

I feel the familiar burn in the back of my throat. I break down. All the pain, all the suffering I felt going through what I did, feeling so alone, betrayed. He looked for me all this time, didn't he?