10 - philophobia

{Warning: this chapter contains mature themes such as murder, description of a human corpse, and graphic depictions of violence—read at your own discretion.}

~IIIrd person POV~

John and Kyle, who are nervously sweating, are sitting in a blue van with a cuffed Y/N, mentally preparing for what's to come. They are some ways away from the hospital, hidden by trees and bushes.
All three are aware that if things go wrong, they will not only fail the assignment but also die, which would not sit well with Price.

Nor Ghost.

"You should've just said no."
"Kyle—"
"I still don't understand why Captain would ask you to do something this dangerous."

The young woman rolls her eyes, "we talked about this."

Kyle nods, grinding his teeth. He chooses to stay silent, not wanting to fight over this again. Especially not before she goes to something so dangerous, where she can lose her life. John looks between his close friends, the atmosphere so awkward and thick it can be cut with a knife.

On the surface, Y/N seems dangerously composed in this scenario, but on the inside, she can't stop thinking back to her chat with Price before they left.

"Are you nervous?" He asks, his voice soft.

"I don't know. I guess it still hasn't sunk in yet," she responds with a shaky breath.

"You know, I chose you for this because I know that you're strong, and I know that you are capable. You will be completely safe with Soap and Gaz."

He sees how her hands shake unbeknownst to her. He knows who can calm her down.

"Simon has done many undercover jobs like this before, you should talk to him."

Her eyes widen for a split second at the mention of the name of the man whom she has come to care for more than she would've liked. "It's fine, I can manage."

Price shakes his head, "It's your choice, but if I were you, I would talk to him. You haven't even looked at each other the entire briefing."

"Why would we?"

He gives her a look that seems to say they both know why.

"Fine, I'll talk to him."

"Y/N?"

John's voice startles her out of her reverie, and he gives her a troubled look. She grins at him to calm his nerves.

"Let's go. This'll be a piece of cake."

The duo exit the van, John roughly tugging Y/N by her arm to the armed guards. She mumbles a quiet 'ow', to which John grimaces. He has to keep up the appearance that he doesn't care for this girl.

"Alright, we're in the lion's den now, and we can't afford any fuck-ups," John whispers, analyzing how many armed guards are walking the perimeter. They are met with two armed men at the entrance.

"Who the fuck are you?"
"Uh, I have a package. I believe the name Y/N L/N should tell you something, yeah?" John grins, adjusting his cap.

Pulling a frown, the man on the right puts his radio to his lips. In Russian, he says her name and what's happening, and then there's a little silence on the other line.

The man stares at the duo when the other line finally responds. He nods to his partner, and both aim their rifles at the pair as a precaution.

"Give the girl to us and leave."