8 - professional

My blood runs cold under my skin, eyes wide, which makes Simon look at me with a mix of worry and confusion, eyebrows scrunched together. Without saying anything, I turn on the speaker.

"You know, I thought your face looked familiar. You can imagine my surprise when I saw you in my employee list," Makarov speaks lowly, no doubt smiling on the other side of the call.

Simon realizes the severity of the situation, and gets off the couch quickly. I could barely hear him swing doors open, or him ushering the familiar men into my living room. Meanwhile, I sat silent, afraid to say anything. Once the men surround the couch I'm sitting on while holding the phone up in my shaky hand, Makarov speaks again.

"Not so chatty, are you? Come on, I want to hear your beautiful voice," he chuckles to himself, amused at how terrified he makes me feel.

Price puts a hand on my shoulder, urging me to respond.

"How did you—"
"Don't ask stupid questions. You should know I have my ways," he snaps. "Now, I don't know why you would put on a disguise and eavesdrop on my conversation, but I promise you I will find out, and once I do, I'll kill you."

My heart hammers in my chest, differently from how it beat when I had that passionate moment with Simon just minutes ago.
I swallow, feeling how dry my throat is.

He suddenly laughs heartily on the other side of the call, making me jump.

"You don't say anything even after I threatened your life, you're either terrified or unbothered, either way, I like that."

I take a steady breath, not looking at any of the men that are silently listening to the mostly one-sided conversation. A thought pops into my mind, and I take another a deep breath before responding.

"You won't kill me."
"Oh? Why so sure?"
"Because I know things, things you don't want anyone to know. If I die, I have ways of making sure the public finds out what you're doing, and you'll either be arrested or executed, I think you know what I prefer."

This time, Makarov is the silent one, for a moment. "You're bluffing."

"Do you want to risk finding out the hard way?" I spoke with more confidence, patting myself on the back in my mind.

"Suka*. Fine, have it your way." (*bitch)
"My way also includes still working at Shady's."

He laughs, "Are you serious? If you set foot there I will chop it off myself."
"Don't be like that, Vlad," I say with fake sweetness, standing up from the couch in an effort to ease my nerves, "I keep working there as if nothing happened, and I keep my mouth shut."

He ponders for a moment, which feels like an eternity. I finally look at the men in my living room, who are looking at the phone in anticipation. Finally, Makarov groans and mumbles something under his breath, "Fine. We have a deal. Blackmailing me like that? You have spunk but you will regret it. You don't have the power over me you think you have."

He ends the call, and every one of us lets out a breath. Gaz laughs.

"Bloody hell, I for sure thought we'd have to search for a coffin for you," he pats my shoulder roughly, making me wince and swat his hand away.

"That was quick thinking, Y/N, but now you're at risk of getting taken out, so it's best we keep a close eye on you," Price says, looking over the men in question, "Soap?"

He shakes his head, "As much as I would love to, I'm not qualified to babysit."

I look at him, offended, "Excuse you? Babysit me? No ripe human being would get that mohawk—"

Simon interjects, "I can do it. I'm used to her antics."

I look at him with betrayal, "Did everyone here plan to gang up on me like that?"

Soap smiles and ruffles my hair roughly, "Yep."

I let out a 'tsk'. The room grew silent.

I look at them confused, "What?"

"What were you and Lieutenant doing before we came here?" Gaz asks, motioning to the now empty glasses where whiskey once was, and to my ruffled clothes. My eyes widen, but before I can respond, Simon speaks.

"We were having a talk. Come on, let's leave her to rest, it's been a long night," he is the first to leave the apartment, leaving me a bit disappointed. Then went Price, mumbling something about needing a smoke after all this. However, Soap and Gaz didn't leave yet, mischievous looks on their faces.

"What's up with your faces, you freaks?" I ask jokingly, and a bit worried.
"Kind of sus that LT answered for you, don't you think?" Gaz asks.
"Who even says 'sus' anymore?" I try to deflect.
"Kyle, I think they were up to no good here," Soap says.
"I think so, too, John," Gaz responds, a grin playing on his lips.
"Okay, I have had enough of you two, get out."

The next few days were quiet. No sign of Makarov.
They were also quiet in terms of Simon and I. We hadn't talked about our little make-out session, as he kept blowing me off. However, he kept to his promise of keeping an eye on me—he had stayed through all my shifts so far, and walked me home.

Once again he quietly walks me home but at this point I feel upset.

"Simon?"
"Don't."

I stop him from walking by grabbing his arm. He doesn't remove my grip.

"Why do you ignore me? Had I done something wrong? Because I don't think I did."

His eyes stare deeply into mine, completely unreadable. "What happened was a mistake."

Finally he speaks those dreaded words. I scoff.

"I don't think you really believe that, not after how you acted and what you said," I counter.
"It was a moment of weakness."
"But—"
His brows furrow. "Just drop it. It was fun while it lasted but you need someone better than me. I'm no good for you."
"How do you know what I need? I need you," I try to take his hand but he moves it away.
"I said no more. From now on, we keep things professional, yeah?"

My heart breaks at his words, yet I nod nonetheless. I'm not going to force him into something he apparently doesn't want. "Yeah."
I begin walking into the direction of our apartment complex, not waiting for Simon.
He catches up to me, of course. We continue to walk in uncomfortable silence.

While we walk, I think to myself—why did he suddenly switch his tune? I remember how much he was holding himself back, how passionate he was. I didn't fake it in my mind, so why is it that suddenly he has grown so cold towards me? I don't buy this 'I'm bad for you' BS. He was clearly willing to open up, and I am not about to give up on him. Not after we had made so much progress.

{a bit short but it's something at least 😭}