Ch. 20 - I'm Not Like Other Fungi!

After getting whatever was to be needed to tame the fungus, they headed out, but something didn't seem right as the trio ventured around the fungi populated areas. Collei sweat dropped anxiously as she looked over her notes in her book. ''I'm sure there'd be an abundance of these little guys here-'' She muttered, flipping back and forth through her notes.

Hex looked over her shoulder, mindlessly skimming through the pictures she drew- since he can't read the Teyvat alphabet- whilst (Y/N) was prodding away, also attempting to keep an eye out for fungi.

''It's deserted, is Collei sure there's supposed to be a troop of them around here?'' (Y/N) shouted to Hex, to which the male relayed to Collei. The forest watcher looked at Hex and then (Y/N), ''I'm sure! I always come around here to see them on my patrol!'' She exclaimed, ignoring the fact Hex could understand (Y/N) despite not being a fungi at that moment. 

Becoming a little impatient, (Y/N) continued to scamper around, until Hex suddenly picked them up. ''Give me a warning, will you?! I swear I'm getting-''

''Just shut up for a second.'' Hex sternly cut them off, his tone serious and no hint of messing around.

Collei also quietened down and shuffled closer to the two. An air of silence came about for a few minutes until Hex spoke up, ''They're here, but they're hiding.'' (Y/N) and Collei glanced at each other but stayed silent as they all collectively heard small shuffling and quiet noises that belonged to fungi.

''Why would they be hiding all of a sudden? Is it because of us?'' (Y/N) muttered, as Hex quickly translated to Collei to which she replied confidently. ''I come here all the time, they shouldn't be so shy-''

Hex and (Y/N) looked at each other in a sort of knowing atmosphere. It's probably because of them. ''I'll try something with (Y/N), Collei you stay and see,'' The male said blankly as he carried (Y/N) off to a reasonably far distance but enough for the forest watcher to see them.

After a few seconds, a troop of fungi peeked out of a thick patch of vegetation and gathered around their usual area, not minding that Collei was there. Seemed like a social group.

''Seems like they're afraid of us,'' Hex spoke, trying to stifle a laugh. While the fungi deadpanned, ''That's fantastic. We're even outsiders from our own species, not like this isn't the first time.''

一一一

An hour passed until Collei finally rallied up two more fungi. A floating dendro fungus and a whirling cryo fungus, they caught up to Hex and (Y/N) until the two other fungi immediately froze at the sight of the two transmigrators.

Hex attempted to walk up to them before they scurried behind Collei. The male sweat dropped. ''Can't you understand them?'' Collei asked, turning around and trying to calm the two creatures.