-Chapter 7-

I wait and listen as my partner is watching me intently. I press a finger to my lips, indicating that we need to be quiet. The banging starts again and this time it's harder and more forced. I slowly open the door to the bedroom, making zero noise as I do. I look behind me and my partner is looking at me questioningly. I just jerk my head in the direction of the front door and then take the lead.

I look around one last time before going to open the door. I can tell my partner is a little nervous. He's looking around sharply, as we were trained to do.

I yank open the door to see a man with a hat in his hands. He looks at me with wide eyes and then turns around to start running. I flick my hands in his direction and he comes flying back. A blue mist-like power coming from my hands, wrapping around his mouth and ankle. Keeping him from screaming.

He's pulled into our cabin and my partner sits him down on a chair. Glaring at the terrified man as he does so.

"Who are you?" I question him. Wanting to know who decided to interrupt my very important sleep.

"Matt." He says in a thick Russian accent. "M-matt Fowler." He stuttered, clearly scared of the situation we're in.

"What are you doing here Matt?" My partner asks in a harsh voice. Clearly not happy by being awoken either.

"I'm on a trip for work. I swear." He says as he holds his hands up.

"Get up."

He stands up and I pat him down and take off his coat and hat. I find a knife and a few cigarettes in his coat, but nothing in his hat.

"Matt, didn't your mommy tell you that smoking is bad?" I say innocently holding up the cigarettes. "I bet she also said that it's very bad to mess with bad people. People like Hydra." I say as I twirl the knife around in my hand.

"Now, Matt, tell me what work trip would have you take knives with you."I ask.

"I wouldn't tell you even if my life depends on it." He spits defensively.

I roll my eyes at his loyalty coming through so soon. Knowing that that's the one thing that always gets you killed.

"Well, what are you doing in the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night?" I ask him.

He just glares at me and I smirk. I grab the knife he has and I drive it into his right knee. He goes to scream, but my partner's hand is coving his mouth.

"You see, where I come from, they teach me how to extract information out of people like you." I tell him, saying the truth. Making him go wide eyes. Then he smiles and starts to laugh.

As he's laughing he begins to cough repeatedly.

"Who do you work for?" My partner asks.

"Imma assume that you work for S.H.E.I.L.D., is that a good assumption to make?"

He just looks at me, his eyes telling me that he's feeling intimidated.

"Well, I'm gonna take that as a yes." My partner says as he moves Matt's coat and rips his shirt to reveal a bulletproof vest underneath, with the S.H.E.I.L.D logo standing out on the front.

"Why would I tell you anything anyway, your nothing but average mall cops to me." He states confidently.

I look at my partner and I smile without my teeth, starting to laugh a little as he joins in. Matt looks at us like we're crazy and I smile while looking at him.

"Well, would an average mall cop do this?"

I swiftly tilt his head back and put the knife through his jugular. Blood rushing down his shirt and neck.

"I'll take that as a no."

My partner and I drag Matts body around the back of the property, taking it to a pond that had slightly frozen over.

"That's all you Soldat" I say. "Your the supersoldier."

He nods and throws Matt's body out onto the pond, breaking the ice as he sinks in.

I jerk my head in the direction of the cabin as we both walk back into it. I grab a rag and wet it slightly, only making it damp as I run it along the chair that Matt had say on, cleaning up his blood.

My partner watches me and opens the fridge again. He pulls out a bag of apples and rips them open with his arm. He takes one and bits into it, squirting juice around his mouth as he does so.

He wipes off his mouth with a nearby paper towel and he looks at me again. I now sat in the couch and stare at the old wall, filled with paintings and pictures.

(47 minutes later )

I'm still sitting on the couch after my partner had gone gone back to bed. I hear something behind me and turn around to see my partner.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." He tells me softly.

"It's fine. Why are you up anyway?' I ask him.

"Nightmares, I guess." He says sheepishly.

"I get them too, if it makes you feel any better."

He nods his head and asks to sit down by me. I tell him yes and he sits down by me.

He moves slightly and shuffles his thumbs around each other.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm cold." He says as he rubs his hands against his arms.

"Don't try to change the subject." I pry.

He looks at me and I can feel him staring at my me, but not in a weird way.

"Do you think we're doing the right thing?" He verbally wonders.

"What do you mean?"

"Y'know with everything, us killing people." He trails.

I think for a second and realize I find myself thinking that a lot too.

"I try to not think about it much." I say deflecting from his question.

"Sorry." He says apologetically.

I stand up and walk over to the cupboard and pull out a piece of bread from it's wrapper, and make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

I look out the back window and see that it's been snowing almost all night.

"Do you think they're coming today?" He asks.

"I doubt it. It's been snowing for quite a while. There's plenty of snow on the ground." I tell him, leaning against the counter and looking at him.

"Do you remember your name?" I question him, wanting to know if he did.

"Um, from what I can think of it started with a B."

"Bain?"

"No, no, I don't think so."

I start to ramble off all the names that started with B, that I could remember.

"Wait, what did you just say?" He says as he stops me mid name.

"Bucky?" I say questioningly.

"That sounds familiar. Really familiar."

"Well, that's what I'll call you then, Bucky."

"Do you remember yours?" He asks as he looks at me with curiosity.

"I thought about it for a while, and I think, I think that it's Rhaenyra."

"Okay, well, that's what I'll call you then."

I nod and glance back to the bedroom.

"We should probably go back to sleep, we haven't gotten a lot of it." I suggest.

"Okay." He walks into the bedroom and lays back into the bed.

I climb in too and get comfortable.

"Goodnight, Rhaenyra." He says shyly.

"Goodnight Bucky." I say back to him as I drift off to sleep.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for reading Chapter 7 of Sapphire. Don't forget to vote and like!