Breaking Together

Maria, Sam and Steve all walked through a dense forest leading out to a lake. The final view being of the city. A good city. A city without chaos and mass destruction.

------—------—------—------—------—------—---

The S.H.I.E.L.D Headquarters were filled with people making sure that the helicariers were reading for the launch. With vehicles and people running around everywhere.

"This is your final launch sequence." A voice said over the loud speaker.

"We are go on guidence." A curly headed man said as he looked at his computer screen then his keyboard.

Alexander Pierce and four other people walked down through the main lobby, with two guards following them.

"And how was your flight?" Alexander asked.

"Lovely, arrived from the airport less so." The women walking beside him said.

"Sadly, S.H.I.E.L.D can't control everything." He said in a disappointing voice.

"Including Captain America." Another man said as he caught up to Alexander.

"This facility is biometrically controlled. Alexander said as a man handed him four ear pieces.

"These will give you unrestricted access." He said as he passed them around.

-----—------—------—------—------—------—----

"Negative DT-6, the pattern is full." A tech said as he argued with the man besides him about parking.

They suddenly all bent over their desks yelling as a high pitched ring sounded through their ears.

"Must be the dish." One of the techs replied quickly.

"I'll check it out." the other said as a man over the PA okayed the launch.

Opening the door with his key card, he stood there with shock on his face as Sam, Maria, and Steve all stood at the door. Steve being the only one with a gun not raised.

"Excuse us." Steve said as the man put his hands up and pointed towards the tech room.

------—------—------—------—------—------—---

"I know the road hasn't exactly been smooth," Pierce said as he addressed the other four people in the room.

"Some of you would've gladly kicked me out of the car along the way." He said with a slight smile.

"Finally, were here, and the world should be grateful." He said as he raised his glass of champagne. Drinking as the rest did the same.

"Attention all S.H.I.E.L.D agents, this is Steve Rogers."

People around the tech lab and other rooms looked around at each other.

"You've hear a lot about me the last few days. Some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth." He said as he looked down at the desk beneath him.

"S.H.I.E.L.D is not what we thought it was,"

"It's been taken over by HYDRA."

Alexander slowly walked around the room with a annoyed look on his face.

"Alexander Pierce is their leader."

The other four people in the room looked at Alexander in confusion.

"The S.T.R.I.K.E and Insight crew, are HYDRA as well, I don't know how many more." Steve said looking around the room.

"But I know that they're in the building."

"They could be standing right next to you."

"They almost have what they want,"

"Absolute control."

"They shot Nick Fury."

"And it won't end there."

"If you launch those helicariers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way. Unless we stop them."

"I know I'm asking a lot. The price of freedom is high, it always has been. And it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it."

"But I'm willing if bet I'm not."

Sam and Maria looked at each other as Sam walked up to Steve.

"Did you write that down first, or was that off the top of your head?" Sam said with a slight smile.

------—------—------—------—------—------—---

"You smug son of a bitch." One man said as he looked at Alexander.

"Arrest him." Another man said as the S.T.R.I.K.E team walked in.

The man pulled out his gun and pointed it at the other four people, including the man who threatened Alexander.

"I guess I've got the floor."

Rumlow walked through the tech lab, stopping at the man who controlled the helicariers.

"Preempt the launch sequence. Send those ships up now." He commanded.

The man looked at Rumlow and then around the room nervously.

"Is there a problem?" Rumlow asked with a threatening voice.

"Umm..." The man said fast looking around his nerves getting the better of him.

"Is there a problem?" Rumlow asked again in a more urgent and demanding voice.

"I'm sorry, sir." He said breathing heavily. Crumbling under Rumlow's gaze.

"I'm not gonna launch those ships." He said in a steady voice.

"Captains orders."

"Move away from your station." Rumlow said as he pointed a gun at the man's head.

"Like he said." Sharon Carter said as she stepped in.

"Hold it right there." The guards said

"Captains orders." She said as she pointed her gun to Rumlow's head.

"You picked the wrong side agent." Rumlow said as he pushed the gun to the back of the man's head, making him lean forward.

"Depends on where you're standing." She said.

The entire room was people pointing guns at one another. A small herd of people pointing theirs at Sharon.

Rumlow removed his gun and dropped it to his side.

Grabbing a knife, he cut Sharon's leg and grabbed her gun, shooting at other people.

Sharon landed on the floor with a hard thud. Just as Rumlow was about to shoot the tech man, she pushed the bottom of the man's chair, causing him to go flying into another person's desk.

Gunshots rang out through the tech lab as Rumlow messed with the computer. As he was running out, the screen said, 'OVERRIDE' in red letters. Meaning nothing good.

------—-------—-------—-------—-------—------

Sorry I went MIA for a while, but I'm back and I hope to get another chapter out this week. Anyway, we're getting close to the end of the book!!

Goodnight/morning