Part 9~ Daedalus's Flight

Walking into the gym, the group stared at the Aoba Johsai kids. They ran about, warming up as a unit. A big, terrifying unit.

Karasuno bowed to Aoba Johsai as they bowed back before they went back to ignoring the crows.

"Aoba Johsai is known for each of its members being highly skilled equally in offence and defence. These guys could go to any school and become the ace." Daichi shared a look with Suga as he nodded.

"Their powerful blocks are famous."

Tanaka snickered. "What's the matter, you two? Hinata's here to throw them for a loop, right?"

Shoyo paused, tilting his head. "What now? I take no responsibility for how this match goes."

"You should take this match more seriously, Sho. Don't think my team will go lightly on you just because you're a member of Daedalus's Flight." Sadayuki crossed his arms, wearing the normal Aoba Johsai jersey and his stoic face.

"Yuki!" Shoyo spun, his eyes beaming as he hopped up to Aoba Johsai's coach. "It's been too long! How's your brother?"

Sadayuki sighed, shaking his head. "It's almost like you're ignoring me."

"What? Me? Never. I'm just enjoying your presence."

Sadayuki's eyebrow raised. "Last time you said that my brother lost a leg."

"That wasn't my fault. That was Ken. And we wouldn't have lost it if grandma didn't throw cookies at us. Ken almost had to add an eye to the list of missing organs. It's kind of weird eyes aren't already on that list." Shoyo hummed, shrugging as Sadayuki shook his head.

Daichi carefully stepped forward. "Hinata? What-" he couldn't finish when Suga interrupted.

"What the fuck are you talking about?"

Shoyo shrugged. "The time I dared Ken to remove Yuki's brother's leg, and when we were running from Grandma, we dropped it into the sea and lost it. It's fine. We paid for a new one, and that one didn't work anyway."

"Please tell me you're talking about a prosthetic leg."

"Of course. We've only ever cut off one actual leg."

Suga looked more concerned as Sadayuki rubbed his eyes. "Don't bother. Anyone in that psychotic group is beyond understanding."

"Why, thank you. I'll be sure to tell your brother you said that." Shoyo grinned as Sadayuki finally just gave up and walked away. "He's always a delight. His brother is a riot, though. You would like him. He's got the intense vibes, but unlike Yuki's 'I am disappointed in you' vibe, he's more 'if you don't shut up, I'm running you over'."

Shoyo patted Tanaka's shoulder as he walked into the corner.

"The more he talks, the more I think we shouldn't have let him into this club." Suga glanced at Daichi, who nodded shallowly.

"Do you know that guy, coach?" Kindaichi pointed to Shoyo as Sadayuki nodded.

"Hinata Shoyo, the leg. He's part of a group my brother is in though I think he's the youngest. I can't say much about his abilities as I've never seen him play, but if he's anything like the other kid that came out of that group, he'll be vicious, have tons of power and an affinity for trouble."

~~~

"We will now begin the practice match of Karasuno High School versus Aoba Johsai High School."

The two schools bowed. "Let's play." They got into their positions, sizing each other up.

"That shrimp is a middle blocker?" Kindaichi snorted to himself, raising his eyebrow. "That's gotta be some kind of mistake."

"That's Kageyama for real," Iwaizumi gaped as he spotted Kageyama amongst the students. "What's he doing at Karasuno?"

"Who knows," Yahaba dismissed.

Shoyo stretched out his arms, a smirk on his face. "This is going to be fun."

Matsukawa served first. The ball flew into Daichi's arms as Kageyama stood under it. Tanaka and Shoyo ran forward together, leaping into the air as Kageyama threw the ball to Tanaka.

They were blocked. The ball hit the floor, and the group winced.

"Shake it off. We'll get the next one," Diachi ordered as the group reset.

~~~

As the set moved on, the teams were even. Aoba Johsai's blocks made it almost impossible to block. But they couldn't get a single point from their serves. Shoyo received it as he rushed forward, jumping away from the blocker as the ball came to him.

Slamming his hand down, Shoyo let out a cheer. Another point. 24-23. Two more to go.

He turned, glancing at Kageyama as he resisted the urge to tell him it was time. It wasn't his call.

He picked up a ball, spinning it in his hand as he served. Iwaizumi received it as Yahaba gave Kindaichi the ball. Tanaka jumped up to stop him, but he couldn't reach. They were going to lose the set.

Shoyo covered. He slid in the path of the ball, sending it to Kageyama. "Kageyama!" Charging before he could confirm, Shoyo was waiting for him.

Kageyama threw him the ball. In a flash, the ball hit the ground, and it was tied. The other team was in shock as Sadayuki shot up. They all watched Kageyama and Shoyo.

They couldn't ignore the threat those two posed.

The serve flew as Kunimi intercepted. Yahaba jumped up, his eyes flickering as he threw it to Iwaizumi.

The ball was slapped down as Tsukishima smirked. "Don't let the shrimp distract you from the real middle blockers."

Karasuno won their first set.

Shoyo laughed as he jumped up to Tsukishima, jabbing his side. "Nicely done, Tsukki!"

"Don't call me that." Tsukishima pushed up his glasses as Shoyo grinned.

"Why would you say that, Tsukki! After how close we've become, I can't believe you've ignored me like that, Tsukki. I'll never recover from this Tsukki."

"Stop that!" Strangely it wasn't Tsukishima who said that. Yamaguchi glared at Shoyo, pointing at Shoyo feistily. "Only I get to call Tsukki that!"

"Shut up."

"Sorry, Tsukki." Yamaguchi grinned, grabbing Tsukishima and dragging him away from Shoyo as Shoyo laughed.

Aoba Johsai was not laughing.

"This isn't right. Those guys aren't meant to be that good." Kindaichi scowled, crossing his arms as Iwaizumi rolled his eyes.

"We shouldn't underestimate them. Though, those two are definitely different." Iwaizumi glanced at Shoyo as he bounced up to Kageyama. "That quick attack could be problematic."

"I wouldn't worry about him." Sadayuki shook his head as the club looked at him in confusion. "I doubt he can manage to play a full game."

"What do you mean?" Kunimi tilted his head as Sadayuki watched Shoyo leaning all his weight on one leg.

"He's a member of Daedalus's Flight. None of them can stay standing that long." Sadayuki didn't say anything else, taking those words as a full explanation.