Part 16~Ace

1-1.

Daichi served the ball as the oldies quickly received, sending it to Suga. Suga jumped, setting the ball to Yusuke, who slammed it down and scored another point for the Neighbourhood Association. "Hey, good one. Nice toss."

"Thank you very much." Suga's eyes lit up at the tiny drop of praise.

Daichi smiled, a proud smirk on his lips. "Now that's our setter. Suga is an experienced setter, after all."

Shoyo hummed, tilting his head. "It's a shame pathetic, and pathetic-er aren't that good. Then things would be really simple."

"Can you stop calling them that?"

"Not until they're not pathetic!" Shoyo grinned, sharing a look with Kageyama as they set up the next move.

Shoyo spun on his leg, jumping up and spiking before the oldies could react.

The team cheered as Shoyo laughed, jumping up and down. Grinning, he watched Asahi's internal struggle hit its peak. "That's what I want. No matter how many times I fail, I still want to spike."

"Then, I'm fine." Noya leaned down, getting into a receiving position. "Now that you said that, I'm fine."

Shoyo smirked, whispering under his breath. "Then, let's put that to the test."

~~~

Shoyo stood back, spinning the ball in his hand before he served, barely getting over the net. Makoto dived, barely receiving as Shoyo chuckled. "Whoops, sorry."

"You could be more subtle, you know," Kageyama growled as Shoyo laughed, running into place.

Hidenori stumbled back, pushing the ball towards Asahi. "Long-haired guy, it's yours."

Kageyama, Tsukishima and Tanaka moved to block, pushing the ball back as Noya dived, stopping it from hitting the floor. "Even if the ball bounces off the wall, I'll keep it in play. So call for the toss again, ace!" Noya dragged himself off the floor, glaring at Asahi to move.

Suga ran under the ball, his mind working hard as he waited for the spikers to move.

"Sugawara-san, give it to him 'til he scores," Kageyama screeched as Shoyo laughed.

"I couldn't agree more. It's yours, Asahi. Time to prove what kind of player you are."

Makoto called for the ball, only to be drowned out. "Suga! One more!" Asahi ran forward as Suga set the ball to the perfect place.

The others got ready to block as Asahi jumped, spiking through Tsukishima and Kageyama's block.

He scored the point.

Shoyo laughed, chuckling to himself. "Much better."

~~~

Shoyo yawned as the game came to a close. The neighbourhood association won, though that was to be expected.

"Hey, look at that. You managed to play a whole game without falling over." Tsukishima chuckled to himself as Shoyo grinned.

"So it appears." Shoyo took a step forward, his leg giving out under him as he collapsed with a groan. "Or not."

"Are you okay?" Ukai looked over at Shoyo as he gave him a thumbs up.

"Perfectly fine." Shoyo pushed himself into a sitting position, stumbling to his feet.

"Is your leg hurt? I should look at it."

"Nope. I'm fine." Shoyo backed away, doing his best to not put weight on his leg before he rushed off, helping clean away.

~~~

"Well, if nothing else, we sure got to relive our youth. 'Call the toss, ace!' That kind of stuff." Makoto smiled, breathing in the fresh air. "Youth is great, isn't it?"

"'As long as I'm here, you're invincible!' I wish I could say that," Yukinari added. "High schoolers are awesome!"

"You guys make us old folk feel left behind," Yusuke joked. "You guys still have a long way to go, but when you pull it together, you'll probably go far."

The club sparkled. "Thank you!"

"Anyway. Receiving. We're nothing if we can't receive. Starting tomorrow, you've got rigorous training ahead." Ukai stood in front of the club, his hands on his hips. "And don't forget to stretch."

Daichi pulled the club away as he led them through the stretches. Ukai sighed, getting Takeda's attention. "Was the receiving that bad? So bad you're sighing?"

"No, I'll come back to that later. Back in the day when I'd wait to be picked as a player, I didn't even realise that it isn't easy being the picker."

Shoyo yawned as he finished his stretch, walking to the side where Kyoko awaited. "You sure?" She tilted her head slightly as she handed Shoyo the file.

"If I don't, it'll bite me later. Besides, he's only temporary. It won't matter after the Nekoma match." Shoyo smiled. "Thanks, Kyoko. You're the best." He walked to Ukai, stopping in front of him as he let out a sigh. "Can we talk outside?"

Ukai blinked in confusion, nodding as he let Shoyo lead him out. The club turned, confusion echoing through them. "What's up, kid?"

Shoyo grumbled, holding out the file. "For the record, I'm only showing you this because you're our coach, and if you tell anyone about this, I will ruin your life. Understood?"

Ukai gulped, nodding as he took the file. Shoyo turned away, crossing his arms as he waited for Ukai to read through the paper.

"It doesn't normally affect me, so it's no reason to bench me, and I take tons of precautions, so by the time Nationals are around, I should be fine, but there are going to be days I won't show up or can't. It's just so you know why."

Ukai sighed, snapping the file closed. "I'm guessing no one else knows about this."

"Just Kyoko, the Head and vice head. I don't like people knowing."

"I can tell." Ukai put the file away, patting Shoyo's head. "Thank you for telling me. I won't let anyone know."

Shoyo huffed. "Good because I would destroy you."

"If you're still in pain, you can wait out here."

Shoyo didn't say anything, leaning against the wall as Ukai walked away.

~~~

"I wonder what happened to Shoyo?" Tanaka looked around as Asahi jolted.

"Is he here?"

Daichi laughed slightly. "Don't worry. We'll make sure he stops bothering you."

Noya nodded. "I wonder why he was so interested in you."

"That doesn't matter." Shoyo pushed himself off the school gate, yawning as he did.

Asahi screamed, hiding behind Daichi.

"Great, you're still pathetic." Shoyo rolled his eyes as Asahi quivered.

"What do you want?"

"Nothing. Not with you, at least. Noya, if you still want to come to the festival, be here at 6 am sharp Sunday. If you're not here on the dot, I'm leaving without you. Understood?"

Noya blinked, nodding as Shoyo clapped his hands, spinning.

"Great. See you then." Shoyo waved behind him, walking away.

"What was that?" Suga turned, looking at Noya as he smiled.

"He's taking me to see a mutual friend."