Chapter 13 ~ The Roof

All of the kids were in the kitchen around the table. In the middle of the table stood a large tower of toast and baked beans. They were all piling more and more beans onto the tower until Tracy walked in and leaned on the counter.

"What on earth are you doing?" She laughed, watching them.

"Making a tower. What's it look like?" Liam told her casually.

"Okay why?" Tracy asked.

"Well you don't expect us to eat this rubbish do you?" Sapphire raised her eyebrow at her, putting another spoonful of beans onto the tower.

"You keep giving us these horrible cheap beans." Carmen complained.

"And I think you'll find they're past their sell-by." Tee picked up the container that the beans were in.

"But we're not putting them to waste are we?" Y/n smiled and everyone nodded, looking at the tower which was about to fall over.

"They are only out by a few days, we have to save money." Tracy told them. Everyone started to complain.

"We've had no takeaways!" Sapphire said,

"I couldn't go swimming!" Toby added,

"And no electrical time!" Johnny whined.

"Okay okay I know it's a little bit rubbish!" Tracy interrupted them before Gus came in with his hands on his head.

"They cancelled my piano lessons!" He yelled, Y/n rushed over to him and put her arm around him, "I always have piano lessons on Wednesdays! If I don't have piano lessons on Wednesday then Wednesday won't work!" He hugged Y/n tightly and Y/n looked at Tracy. Liam walked over to where Y/n, Tracy and Gus were standing and stood next to Y/n.

"Look me in the eye Tracy Beaker," He said to her, "And tell me this is fair." Tracy looked at him before leaving the kitchen.

"Come on Gus," Y/n sat him down and went to get him a drink of water, "Here." She put the cup in front of him. They all stayed in the kitchen. Liam was sitting on the counter and Y/n was standing in between his legs, holding his hands which were around her shoulders. It was pretty quiet until Tracy came back in.

"Right guys, listen up." Everyone looked at her, "I've spoken to Mike, and he says that the council are shutting us down and sending you all somewhere cheaper." Y/n and Liam looked at each other frowning.

"But where is cheaper than here?" Y/n asked Tracy.

"Burnywood." Y/n's grip on Liam's hands grew tighter.

"Burnywood?!" He yelled, getting down and putting his arm around Y/n's waist.

"They can't do that!" Carmen complained.

"This is our home!" Tee added.

"That's why we need to make these budget cuts work." Tracy told them almost casually as if their home wasn't in danger.

"Nah look, just don't get sucked in." Sapphire looked at them all, "If they wanna shut us down they'll do it. It doesn't matter how much money you save." She stormed out of the kitchen.

"Saph come back!" Tracy called after her but Sapphire ignored her, continuing to walk.

"I've done a stretch in Burnywood, I'm not going back." Liam told them, "And I'm not letting Y/n go there either." He grabbed her hand protectively and she held his tightly.

"Then help us make it cheaper here and none of you will have to." Tracy pointed out.

"Everyone," Liam spoke up, "Let's show these council muppets how to run this place on the cheap." Tracy smiled at him as he started to walk out of the kitchen with Y/n and Gus. "Sell the best on the net, I'll shift the rest." Liam told Gus who was taking notes as they walked past the living room and to the hall. "I can get £20 for that sofa." Liam pointed to the sofa that was in front of the stairs.