𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒 - 𝐀 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐮𝐧𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐮𝐧𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬.

༻✦༺   4

  ༻✦༺
   4

WHEN we look at a haunted house we are often afraid. Do not enter, stay away, go back the other way. I imagine we think of damaged and grieving people as haunted houses. That if we get too close, we may see things we do not wish to see.

But haunted houses are more than places with aching memories. They are homes needing light, souls needing compassion, beauty needing understanding. Sometimes, haunted houses hold memories that need a hand to hold and welcome back the neighborhood.

Eli releases me from his hold and I hide my face from him. He holds up my chin to meet his eyes, "He will pay for what he did, trust me."

I know behind his words hold a promise.

I slowly nod my head backing up from his warmth. "Uhm, I'm gonna go to bed." I tell the both of them — leaving before they get a chance to respond.

I somehow remember where the bedroom is in this big ole mansion. I slowly open the bedroom door and close it behind me.

Getting into the sheets next to Noah, I try to close my eyes and sleep but I can't. The events of the day replaying in my head over and over again. Soon enough, it was 9am. I haven't slept the whole night.

No sleep, no peace, just vivid day dreams and aching memories.

I get out of bed making Noah stir in his sleep. I walk into the bathroom and look at my reflection in the mirror.

I'm darkskin and you can see my bags under my eyes, chile..

I wash my face with cold water and brush my teeth with the spare toothbrush that was laid on the countertop. My hair is in knotless braids so I just let them out of the low ponytail it was previously in.

Making my way into the closet, I change my clothes. The ones I stayed up all night in screams depressing.

I change into a black leggings with a matching black shirt. Noah wakes up and I tend to him as-well. We make our way downstairs into the kitchen, "Mommy, I'm hungry." Noah tells me. "I know baby I'm making something for you to eat now okay?" He nods his head.

I eventually find the pans and ingredients I need to make breakfast for everybody. 45 minutes pass by and the eggs, bacon, and sausages are ready. I set the food at the dining table and go back into the kitchen for juice.

"Morning amore. How'd you sleep?" Eli's voice rings from behind me. His voice is deep but his morning voice is even deeper, plus it's raspy.