Chapter 1: The Big News

I’m Andrea Gomez, but my friends call me Andi. I’m 15, and an incoming junior at Abbey High School. Well, I was. But then my dad had landed this huge promotion that shocked my whole family. Apparently we’re moving to Australia in a few days, and I haven’t even started packing my things. I should be happy though for my dad; because this would mean that all his hard work had paid off.  I am happy for him. But for me, that’s another story.

This wasn’t easy for me. If you think I was happy in my life here, I’d say not really. I was bullied in school. People kept laughing and teasing me with everything I do. At first, I thought I wanted to die, but I guess I got used to it. I basically had no friends, and I hated eating alone, until I met Sarah Cruz.

Sarah is a happy go lucky person. She’s a new transferee in our school during my freshman year. She’s more liberal, and takes things differently, more like in a positive way. She changed my life. Of course, not totally, I still get bullied from time to time. But this time, I’m not that depressed anymore. She fought for me, and she always got my back. She is one of my best friends.

I called up her up once my dad told everything the surprising news during dinner. She was happy that I’ll be migrating to another country, not because she wanted me out of her life, but because she thought it would be fun to discover new culture, and make new friends. Basically start a new life in a country where no one knows me. She gave me that confidence that I can do this, that I may be able to stand up on my own and face the world. I was still nervous, but hearing that from her changed my point of view. 

“You can do it, Andi! This will be your new beginning! I’m so happy for you!” Sarah said as I bid goodbye.

“Thanks.” I muttered, then went to my room and shut the door.

Sarah was right. This is my new beginning. I thought, as I was clearing my closet and putting them nicely on the box. I wonder how my life will be like, and how will I socialize in my new school. I was really nervous. The thought of me being in a new school, in a different country makes me want to scream my lungs out.

Is this just a dream?” I wondered out loudly.

 I didn’t notice that my older brother, Jake, had come in. “No, it’s not! Aren’t you excited?”

“Since when did you not notice there’s actually a door where you have to knock before you enter?” I said, and he just laughed his way out.

Jake is so annoying. He always tease me, especially when we were younger, he used to throw plush toy darts at me. I’d usually cry in my room, and hide them under my bed so he wouldn’t do it again.  But he just doesn’t stop.

I have so many things to pack. I’m nearly done with my closet, and now I’m looking at the CDs and DVDs, books and magazines, photo memorabilia, and other personal belongings that I wanted to bring. My mum said that I should only pack those that I really want to bring first. We couldn’t really bring much with us during the flight, but we’ve already talked out with a freight company that would ship our other things to Australia the following week.

I’m so tired after packing full boxes of personal things. I surveyed the room and thought about things I wanted to bring first.  I know it wouldn’t take long for the shipment, but I just wanted to make sure that the things I need for my first week in Australia would be complete. As I lay down on my bed, I was thinking about things that might happen in Australia. I was already dreaming of things, like meeting new friends, going to a great school, travelling around the country, learning about their culture, tasting different delicacies. I admit. I was pretty excited.