»»----- V -----««

Aftershocks

。゚•┈୨♡୧┈• 。゚

It was good to catch up with Snowdrop.

She had been obviously upset when Twigpaw had disappeared. She was very very happy to see her. Twigpaw was too. It felt weird though. Snowdrop, a cat who had always seemed so perfect and serene, with a coat like clouds and who acted like a ripple in the water, had now roughened edges after the monster swept it's tendrils and talons across their lives. 

"I wonder-" Rainpaw was cut off as there was a ringing noise echoing along them. 

"Oh no no no not again!" Owlkit screeched, throwing himself to the ground. 

A wave of fear washed over Twigpaw. Not again? Oh no...

The ground began to tremble, and shake, the trees swayed and the sky rocked, fleeing bird littered the blue.

"Earth monster!" The normally quite quiet Rosekit yelled, following up Owlkit's cry.

"Everyone get down, stay away from anything that can fall, like trees, Featherkit, come here," Rainpaw ordered, his gaze searching for a safe place that they could go.

"There," Sandkit piped up, shivering at Rainpaw's side. "Is that safe?"

The little kit was right. A meadow with an area far from trees peeked through the trunks and leaves of the forest. "C'mon let's go quick!"

The group ran through the trees, each keeping a wary eye on the rocking branches.

"The sky is falling!" Featherkit squeaked, freezing on the spot, gaping at the endless land above.

The others ran on, but Twigpaw skidded to a stop beside the frightened kit. "Come Featherkit, we must go!" She said, urging the kit forward, but he kept refusing. 

"Featherkit-" Twigpaw said, getting agitated, but there was a loud noise and Twigpaw looked up to see one of the old oaks in their area tilting dangerously in their direction.

"Featherkit! Urgh, screw it!" Twigpaw darted forward and grabbed the wailing it by the scruff. He protested, twisting and turning, but with the whole situation, adrenaline rushed through her body, making her able to hold on to the squirming kit as she made it to safety. 

She dropped Featherkit with his siblings and sat down with a heavy sigh. 

"Are you alright?" Rainpaw asked, and Twigpaw caught herself gazing into his pretty eyes. She snapped out of it and fell painfully back into reality.

"Y-Yeah... Featherkit was just being a bit of a mousebrain..." Twigpaw muttered.

"Was not!" Featherkit grumbled, and his brothers laughed and teased him. The shaking was subsiding, and when she thought about it, it wasn't as bad as the first one.

Was it some kind of... after shock? Like when you dip your paw into a pool of water, it sends out ripples of water? The first one is the strongest, and then it is followed by weaker ones until it slowly dies out.

She wondered if another sea monster was on the way. Were they far enough inland yet? She spun round in circles. Wait, where is Mira?

"Mira? Mira!" She called out. Rainpaw's eyes widened and he glanced around quickly, coming to realisation quickly too, followed by Snowdrop.

"Don't tell me we left her behind..." Snowdrop voice settled on them like falling leaves.

"Mira?" Sandkit soft, sad voice whispered, almost as if he knew. She felt a pang of sympathy for the young kit, he had been very good friends with Mira. Twigpaw guessed Mira was the kind of kind but firm cat that the kits needed for a mother. 

Twigpaw turned to Rainpaw and they nodded. "We will go have a look, Snowdrop, are you okay with the kits?" 

Snowdrop nodded, her tail sweeping the kits closer. 

Twigpaw then turned back to the forest and they ran off into it's dark grip. 

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

"I can't believe it, all she wanted to do was see if we could help her find her home and family," Twigpaw muttered. The image of Mira crushed by rocks and stones wouldn't leave her mind. She almost wished Snowdrop had gone instead. 

"Poor cat..." Snowdrop whispered.

The kits were fast asleep, they had waited until the night to discuss what to do next, but they still grieved for the loss of their friend. It sent waves of memories into Twigpaw's mind, making the sight at her old home seem fresh and new. 

Could this get any worse?