»»----- VI -----««

𝓐 𝓼𝓪𝓭 𝓼𝓸𝓷𝓰

。゚•┈୨♡୧┈• 。゚

They continued their journey, maybe the city would bring something good. Also, deep down, they wanted to finish their adventure, for Mira.

"There is a cat up ahead," Rainpaw said, emerging from the rain of a shower that had just hit them. 

"Do they look dangerous?" Snowdrop asked.

"No, they look.... familiar," Rainpaw muttered, his tail swishing dangerously. 

Twigpaw stepped forward, cautious. Who did Rainpaw know that made him angry? Her mind flicked through all the cats she knew. He had been on good terms with pretty much all the cats in the clan. 

Dawn? Violet? Those were the only two cats Rainpaw had muttered about. He always said they seemed to be letting on less than they knew. That they were hiding something, something important. 

"This far from the cliffs?" Twigpaw whispered to him, and he relaxed a bit, but his gaze was still fixed on the cat as they made their way down the slopy hillside.  

"If it is a cat we don't know, it's better we go somewhere where we can wait for them to come into view before they spot us as well," Snowdrop pointed out, already herding the kits towards a cluster of bushes. Twigpaw followed, Rainpaw a mouse tail behind. 

The cat stumbled down the hill in an unfashionable way, and began to pad slowly in their direction. The rain slid down their soaked pelt and eventually their identity was revealed. 

"Birdsong!?" Amberpaw gasped.

Birdsong lept back, hissing with his claws unsheathed, but he quickly realised who they were and sighed in relief. "Oh thank the sea-" he began to say, then paused. Uhh... awkward. 

"I'm so glad it's just you guys, you wouldn't believe some of the cats out there that will battle you over a one mouse like it's dozen," Birdsong shivered, his shoulders dropped heavily, like they were carrying an inner weight as well. It was also then Twigpaw noticed the thing red marks that were scattered across his body. Gosh, some cats I will never get. 

"How did you make it out alive?" Amberpaw asked, the question they'd all been wondering. 

"Nightpaw warned us, I went to Briarspot first, I thought- I thought Briarspot was with me, but then the waves came and-" his voice broke off into a sob. 

Nightpaw, Nightpaw, Nightpaw! Nightpaw saved the clan, or didn't. Or did. Twigpaw's heart sang, but she was used to this, her expression was steeled into a one that was sorrowful for their losses and annoyed by the rain, drawing away any attention for something else.

Rainpaw's gaze softened. "It's all right, we understand."

"She didn't even get to give birth to her kits, our  kits," Birdsong muttered. 

"Well... we are going to the city, we assume there might be other survivors there... and... uh, yeah," Twigpaw mentioned, trying to lighten the mood although that meant she had to drop the bit that was about Mira. "Do you want to come with us?"

Amberpaw nodded, perking up. Her gaze was hopeful. "You could help us build a new clan!" 

Birdsong sighed, shuddering from either the cold or something else. "I can't, I'm sorry Twigpaw, Amberpaw, but I need to go somewhere else. I need to move on from Briarspot, or the grief will kill me, and unfourtunatly that means leaving the clan, the memories of her-"

"No, it's okay, you don't have too," Amberpaw interupted. "It's okay, well, I guess we may see you again."

Birdsong nodded. "Maybe." He then bounded away, his shoulders less tense. They watched him go until he merged with the misty grey. 

Amberpaw sighed. "He didn't even remember I was his younger sister, it was always Briarspot, Briarsport, Briarspot, Briarspot this, Briarspot that." Her tail flicked in fustration, almost anger. "You know what? I'm glad he didn't want to join us, he'd just be whining about her all day long." 

And with that, Amberpaw marched off. Nightpaw and Twigpaw shared a glance. They had never seen quiet, kind, friendly Amberpaw angry, ever. 

I wonder if she'd understand my jelousy-... no, remember I don't have any. "Let's catch up to her, before she makes it to the city before us."

Snowdrop squinted into the rain. "She just might, at that speed."

"She wants to prove herself, I guess," Twigpaw shrugged. "We all know how that feels like."

A/N: short chapter but seriously, I just want to finish writing this book so I can get to writing book three - which will be WAY more interesting