Chapter 26: Space

Zac went home to think. He called his receptionist to reschedule his last appointment because he is out sick for the rest of the day. He was in no shape to finish working.

A 12-year-old?  he thought. Ain't no way.

He goes to the liquor cabinet to get the strongest liquor available. He pours himself a drink when his phone rings, it's Jake.

I don't have time for him right now, I'm going to curse him out as soon as I see him. Zac says to himself.

He sits on the couch and drinks his worries away.

Karen calls him. He sends her straight to voicemail. She then texts him.

Karen: Call me Zac. We need to talk. I know this is a shock. I'm sorry for delivering such news, but let's talk.

He deletes the message.

10 minutes later Fatima calls.

"FUCKKK!! I can't."

Zac throws his phone across the room. After a few more drinks he falls asleep.

Fatima's POV.

"Hey, Andi have you heard from Jake?" asks Fatima.

"Yes, why?" Andi asks.

"I've been calling Zac, but he hasn't answered."

"Maybe he is with a client."

"Maybe. I thought he would have at least texted me by now. I'm just tripping."

"Yeah. I'll text Jake and have him tell Zac to call you."

"Ok cool. I have another client before I leave for today, so I will talk to you later," says Fatima.

Zack's house

It's 5:00 pm. Zac finally wakes up. He looks for his phone and remembers that he threw it across the room. He goes to pick it up and notices 10 missed calls from Fatima, Karen, and Jake.

He decides to turn his phone off and grab a bite to eat out of the kitchen.

The next morning, he feels a little hungover, so he gets a huge glass of water to drink.

He doesn't have anything on his calendar until 1 pm today so he decided to go in a little later. Get himself physically and emotionally together.

Around 11:00 am he gets ready for work. He is not 100%, but he has to go to work.

He goes to work and goes straight to his office.

Knock, knock.

"Hey, Zac. Man, what's up? I've been trying to call you since yesterday." says Jake.

"Come in and shut the door," says Zac.

Jake does what he's told and sits in the chair opposite Zac.

"Do you know who that client was that you gave me?"

Jake looks confused. "I thought you knew her. She requested you to be her realtor but told me not to say anything to you. She said something about a high school sweetheart, and she wanted to surprise you."

Zac puts his face in his hands.

"Zac, did I do something wrong?"

"Yes. You did a lot of things wrong. So that's why you never gave me her name when I asked for it? You were helping her set me up?"

"Man, I didn't know it was like that."

"Well, it was. She came there to tell me that I have a child."

"Oh shit! Zac what about Fatima?"

"You don't think that has been going through my head? At this point, I don't know what to do or say. I just have to get away for a moment and clear my head."

"I can give you a key to my lake house," says Jake.

"Man, I might take you up on that."

Zac gets back to work. 

Fatima and Karen continue to call him, but he ignores them.

Fatima stops by the office, but the receptionist told her he had just left. After his last client, he calls Jake. He takes him up on his offer. So, he heads home to pack a bag for the weekend and then meets Jake with the key.

He texts Fatima. 

Zac: Fatima I apologize for not answering your calls/texts or not reaching out to you. I got some news yesterday and I just need time to process it. I will be out of town for a few days, but I promise to talk to you as soon as I return. I love you.