Chapter 52: Baby Shower

Fatima is now 34 weeks. Besides the normal symptoms, Fatima has had a pretty good pregnancy. Her maternity leave has officially started. Today they are getting ready for the baby shower planned by Lori and Andi. The morning of the baby shower Andi scheduled Fatima's maternity photo shoot. She also requested a few shots of her and Zac in matching tropical outfits.

After the photo shoot, they still have a few hours before the party, so Fatima goes upstairs to take a nap. Zac is helping the girls set up.

"Thank you so much for doing this. You know Fatima, she acts like she doesn't want a shower, but she's just not used to people doing things for her. I have a gift I want to surprise her with, but I need both of your help," says Zac.

"Ooh is it a Rolls Royce?" asks Lori.

"Dang Lori, don't be so loud," says Andi.

"Lori, it's a surprise so I need you not to say anything," Zac says.

"Ok, I won't. What is it though?" says Lori.

Zac gives them all the details of how he wants to give Fatima the surprise and what he needs them to do.

It is 4:00. Time for the baby shower. Fatima and Zac are getting ready while the guests start coming. It is a Hawaiian-themed party, so everyone is dressed in cute hula skirts or tropical prints. Once the parents are finished getting ready, they head downstairs to the party. Everyone is in attendance. Madea, Madam, Aunt Hattie, and a few of Fatima's college friends, and former coworkers. Zac's family all came from New York.

Andi yells, "Everyone can I get your attention? First, we are going to play a few games, eat, and then open the gifts

Andi yells, "Everyone can I get your attention? First, we are going to play a few games, eat, and then open the gifts."

They all gather around to play games such as:

Bobbing for Pacifiers

Find the Guest!

Don't drop the (Egg)Baby

We're Having a Baby!

Diaper Change Relay Race

Hang the Diaper

They were having so much fun. Now it is time to eat. They had tons of food. Most of the food was cooked by Madea and Mrs. Taylor. The guest sits around eating and chatting.

After everyone is done eating, Andi gathers every around in the living room to open gifts. Fatima sits at the front near the fireplace so that everyone can see her as she opens the gifts. She received tons of gifts from diapers, clothes, and money. Mr. and Mrs. Taylor got her a stroller and car seat, the exact ones that Fatima asked for. Madea got her a rocking chair with a baby blanket. Madam bought her some clothes and build a bear. Aunt Hattie bought the crib.

Andi and Lori both get up to give her their gift. 

"Andi and I have a gift for you," says Lori.

"What Lor? Ya'll plan all of this," Fatima says speaking of the beautiful baby shower. "Ya'll didn't have to get me anything else."

"Anyway girl," says Andi. "We know you and Zac are looking to buy a home so we can't give you our gift right now."

"But Andi couldn't wait to tell you," Lori interrupts.

"Ok, what is it?" asks Fatima.

The two say in unison, "We are going to decorate the baby's nursery for you!"

"Aww! That's going to be nice. Thank you, ladies. I love you," says Fatima getting emotional.

"You two just need to hurry up and find a house, so we can decorate before baby T gets here," says Lori. 

"Talk to Zac about that. By the way, where is he?" asks Fatima.

All of a sudden there was music playing. 

The girls move all the gifts out of the way. 

Zac walks into the room and over to Fatima. 

"Fatima, Fatima, Fatima you have been the best thing that has happened to me. Now you are about to give me the biggest gift a man can ask for. I can't wait to raise Baby T with you. In the same household as a family. I love you. I wanted to ask you here today in front of our friends and family, but with no pressure (he laughs)." He gets on one knee. "Fatima Wilson, will you marry me?"

Fatima is smiling from ear to ear. "Are you serious, babe?"

Zac responds in a joking way. "Do you see this ring? Do you see me on my knees? Of course, baby I'm serious."

"Well, hell yeah then. Yes, baby, I would love to marry you," they kiss each other.

"I love you, too," says Fatima, and Zac put the ring on her finger. 

The entire crowd starts clapping and screaming congratulations.

Zac's mom goes over to Fatima and hugs her. 

Fatima asked her, 'Did you know about this Mrs. Taylor?"

Zac interrupts. "Of course, she did and so did, Madea. I had to ask for their blessing and advice. Go ahead and tell her ma."

Mrs. Taylor smiles. "Yes. He called me a few weeks ago. I told him he better marry you before someone else does." They all laugh. "Welcome to the family baby girl," They hug one more time.

"Congratulations," says Madea. "It was hard trying to keep it a secret. He came by the house to ask, I told him to take you, then maybe you would get off my back."

"Whatever Madea, I am not that bad," says Fatima.

"No, you're not, but you need some real good loving in your life. I think Zac's a great guy."

"Thank you, Madea," says Zac.

Some of the guests wanted to see the ring.

"He did good," says Lori looking at the ring on Fatima's finger.

"He did, didn't he?" says Fatima.

Madam catches Zac before he left. "Alright, now this means we are family. I'm here when you need me, but still make sure you treat my cousin right. Bring her back the same way you got her."

"Yes, Ma'am." 

Even though Fatima's family consists of mostly women, Zac loves that they are strong, black women. They protect each other. Now that he is about to marry Fatima, he wants to be the one to protect both her and their baby girl.