24.

All rights reserved...@brightlights101

I SURE DO LOVE LONG CHAPTERS!

The next morning with the sun beaming through the large window panes and see through drapes, it left Andrea's skin warm. She was slowly stirring awake, reaching out her arm in hopes to feel Matteo beside her. But as her arm drags across the sheets, she pries her eyes open, squinting.

The bed was empty.

Completely confused, she props herself up, stretching as she rises. Pushing her lock of curls out of her face, she sees a note on the pillow next to her.

Opening it, it read 'I'll see you in a couple of days.'

She falls back into bed, a small smile slowly creeps it's way onto her face. Never did she imagine she'd be where she is now but fate always has a plan.

After getting ready for the day, Andrea goes in search for Rosa. But not finding her anywhere inside their home, she steps outside. Walking around, she finally sees Giuseppe kneeled down on the ground in the garden.

She slowly approaches him, saying "good morning Giuseppe."

"Good morning to you too," he rises from his hunched over position, turning his head to get a good look at her.

"What are you doing?" She asks, getting down onto the ground next to him.

He runs the back of his hand across his forehead, drying up the sweat that collected there.

"Just planting some new bulbs," he answers.

"Need any help?"

He smiles. "Sure! I'd love the help."

He hands her his pair of gloves, not wanting her to use her bare hands and places his sun hat on her head.

She goes to protest.

"What man would I be to let you get your hands dirty," he smiles.

"It's no big deal," she chuckles. "But thank you, that was very kind."

As he dug the holes, she plopped in the bulbs one after another, then pushing the loose dirt on top. They did this for a sold half hour, engaging in light conversation throughout.

"I don't mean to pry," he hesitantly speaks. "I saw Matteo leave this morning. What time did he get in last night?"

She pauses, feeling nervous and heated at the same time.

"Around 10pm," she prompts.

He nods.

"I wish he would've stayed," there was sadness in his voice. "We don't see him as much anymore."

Andrea cocks her head to the side, signaling for him to continue. She was always curious about anything Matteo related since it was so foreign to speak of. Everyone was so protective about this family.

"When he was younger," he sighs. "Him and his brother and sister always came over to spend the night. Me and Rosa would read them stories and make breakfast together. Then one day, it just stopped."

"If you don't mind me asking, what made it all stop?"

"How much do you know of his father, my son?"

Andrea frowns. "Not a whole lot."

"Tell me," he probed.

"All Matteo told me was that after years of working for his boss, his father one day decided he wanted to create his own legacy and took down every mafia he could. And eventually, it was passed down onto him. But that's all I know."