Part 4 | Haircut

The morning went awful. Grace groaned as she looked at the clock on the wall. She waited Shane at the kitchen while tapping her feet to the ground.

"Shane, could you please hurry up? It's your first day at school!" She shouted one more time before Shane finally made his way out from his room with a messy semi-buttoned uniform that he wore right now.

"How do I look?" He asked as he pant.

Grace sighed and walked closer to her son. She fixed the collar of his uniform and lastly, button up the rest of it.

"You look handsome." She smiled as she looked at his face.

"You looked like your Dad."

With that, Shane let out a smile and laughed.

"I'm his son." He said and grabbed his backpack from the chair.

"Should we go, Mom?"
"Yeah, let's be hurry." Grace chuckled and walked faster followed by Shane at the back to get out from their apartment.

It's their first day, yet they've messed it up already. They woke up late this morning and only managed to washed up in order to get the bus to their place. It took twenty minutes to Shane's school but an hour to Grace's University. They did the simulation yesterday after finishing unpacking their stuff at their new apartment. It's her hometown yet she felt strange and new to the environment. So much thing changed in this town including the new route of their bus. They needed to wait at least fifteen minutes for the bus that leads to their place everyday. Could they go with another bus? Obviously, no.

"How many more stops?" Shane asked while looking at the view outside the big window of this bus.

"One, I remember. After this you should be good to go."
"God, I hate this morning."
"Are you okay to go alone?"
"I'm not a kid anymore, Mom."
"Meet Mrs. Kim there, okay?"
"Noted."

The bus stops and Grace tapped her son's shoulder to get up from the seat. Shane quickly bid a goodbye to his Mother and run faster after he reached the bus shelter. She watched him worried because of her mistake this morning. She forgot to set up the alarm last night, otherwise she could accompany him on his first day.

Right after she went through a heavy traffic, she finally made it to her new office and met the other new lecturer there. She went to the training center building in this University as the first step of new employees before they plotted them to which level they need to take for this new academic year. Grace sure she believed she applied for an undergraduate studies but apparently she will see it after she passes the training program in this two weeks ahead.

The first day of hers went well, she made friends with a lot of new employees here and shared each other stories while on their break of the first session. She met Jihye which happened to be one of the alumni in here same as Grace. She's a year older than Grace, but Grace believed she never met her before.

Grace decided to sit with her for the rest of the second session. Jihye talked a lot about stuff that she had in her life including her family in this town— an entrepreneur husband with two kids who were already in the first and second semester of College.

"Says the guy right there." Jihye pointed after Grace asked her about the Professor's whereabouts.

"Oh God, I need to pick up my son."
"Call him now. I'm sure he will understand."

Grace sighed and made her way out from the room.

"Hey, Mom. What's up?"

Shane asked on the phone after Grace dialed his number as soon as she got an information about the change of the schedule for this session.