Oh the humanity...

For a couple of days, Emily and Kai had kept a low profile. Only going out every once and while for some fresh air or supplies. During this time, Emily couldn't deny that she and Kai were growing closer together, bonding over a number of things. Eventually, the day came for Liz's funeral.

Emily and Damon agreed it would be best they kept Kai away from the others for the majority of the day. To do this, Emily decided to take Kai out for the day. They completely left everything else behind and lost themselves in freedom. It was only until the sun started to dip in the sky that Emily realised the time.

"Shit! I was supposed to be at the grill!" Emily clutched Kai's wrist and dragged him towards the car. When she reached the vehicle, she opened the door and leant in to grab her phone. On it was several missed messages and calls from the Salvatore brothers. "Fuck!"

Without another word, Emily gets in the car and starts up the engine. Before Kai is even in the car properly, she puts her foot on the pedal and pushes it as far as it will go.

During the drive, Emily didn't say anything. Her fingers were clenched around the wheel with her knuckles turning white. Soon enough, she arrived at the Salvatore boarding house and hastily got out of the car, not even waiting for Kai.

She bound up the stairs toward the door, pulled her keys out of her pocket and opened the dark wooden entryway. "Damon!" she called out. "You here?"

From the lounge appeared a sullen-looking Damon. "Em! There you are! We tried calling you. Where have you been-"

At that point, Kai had walked into the house and come to stand beside Emily. He waved childishly at Damon. "Hello again."

Emily ignored the two men. "I'm sorry, Damon. I've been with Kai and didn't have my phone on me." She peered at the vampire curiously. "What's going on? Where is everyone?"

"You'd know that if you weren't so distracted." Damon sighed heavily. "Look, Em, we have a problem. Caroline, she... she turned off her humanity."

"What? No! Why?" Emily stepped closer to Damon.

"Same reason we do. To stop the pain, the grief... Losing her mum. That was the last straw for Caroline."

"Then let's go look for her. I can help! I can-"

Damon put a hand on Emily's shoulder. "That's not all, Em." His gaze shifted past hers and landed on Kai.

"What have I done now?" Kai asked, coming to join the two.

"It's what you haven't done. Your new boy toy forgot to mention that there is another prison world... And that the prisoner is my mother."

Emily's mouth opened and closed repeatedly like a fish. Though she didn't say anything, she turned to Kai and glared at him.

"Oopsies," Kai said, smirking and shrugging at the two.

Looking between the two males, Emily could see a lot of differences but there were also some similarities that she couldn't quite distinguish. Not to mention, the testosterone in the air right now. "So... What's the plan?" her voice came out smaller than anticipated.

It took a few moments but eventually, Damon removed his gaze from Kai and settled them upon Emily instead. "Elena wants your help with Caroline. I said I'd get you to call her when I found you."

"Damon, I am sorry-"

"And what about me?" Kai asked, interrupting Emily.

"You?" Damon returned his gaze to Kai. "You're staying here. We need to talk." Damon's voice was strict and he crossed his arms over his muscled chest. He let out a chuckle seeing Emily's worried expression. "Relax, Em, I'm not gonna kill him."