Prologue

In the local funeral home, a crowd of people were sat in silence. They all somberly stared toward a pedestal of which lay a dark wooden coffin.

"This is pathetic," a man whispered. He had long blond hair all neatly combed backward and a light trimmed beard. He wore a smart black suit which clung snugly to his body. "You know, I was expecting bigger flowers and more heart-warming speeches."

Sat next to the man was a dark haired girl with piercing green eyes. She wore a pleated black dress and matching heeled pumps. As the man said this, the girl bit her lip to stop her from chuckling. "Luke, this is a funeral. You're not meant to be judging the concession," she hissed at him, aware that people were close enough they could hear her.

Luke shrugged. "Yeah, well, funerals make me despressed and this is how I deal with them," he hissed back, smirking slightly at his good friend who was unable to hide her smile.

"Emily, are you okay?" A voice spoke next to her. Emily turned around, coughing to cover up her scoffs, and saw Matt Donovan frowning back at her. The blond-haired jock was a good friend of Emily's that she had met at the same time as the others. However, Matt couldn't see Luke because Luke was a ghost. This was his funeral they were attending.

Emily composed herself and nodded, giving Matt a reassuring smile. "Sure... Just, funerals make me a little... Uncomfortable."

Matt wasn't convinced but he didn't press any further. He sighed and looked around the room, "Well, I think you're handling it better than some of us."

Emily followed his gaze and saw the rest of the room completely solemn. Some were strangers that she could only assume Luke had met before coming to Mystic Falls. But some were Emily's friends. And they were all in tears, crying not only for Luke but for Jo and Liv; his sisters.

"You forget, Matt, seeing death is a part of my job." Emily shrugged non-chalantly.

Everyone of her friends knew who she truly was so she didn't have to pretend to be someone she wasn't to fit in. But, then again, her friends didn't exactly fit in either... They were supernatural too being of either vampire, werewolf or witch origin. And then there were the humans who were friends with such creatures. Though Emily was a demon, no-one was shocked when she finally revealed herself and she was grateful to them for that.

Matt's eyes widened, but not in shock. "Oh, Em, I forgot. I'm sorry." He chuckled nervously, "I keep forgetting who you are cause you act so normal." He smiled kindly at her.

"That, Matt, is also part of my job." She rolled her eyes at him but then rested her head on his shoulder. She could feel his breath catching everytime his shoulders raised and sag. He was a good egg, Matt, and she could tell he was trying his best to be strong for the others.

Emily, on the other hand, was not. A good egg, that is. Being a spawn of Satan, it was hard for her to be good. But one thing she was good at was getting revenge. Since she'd been to hundreds of funerals before, Emily was used to the ceremonies. So, rather than paying attention to what was happening, she decided to come up with a plan.

Unfortunately, her plans were usually improvised and involved rash decisions she knew she'd regret later on. But the consequences didn't matter to her because, well, what could they do to her? Her home is Hell, literally. The first problem of her plan was that she needed to find Luke's killer. And that meant she needed to find the leader of the Gemini Coven. 

Let the mission to save her friends begin.

--------------------------------------

A/N (2015)
I apologise if this is really short but it's my first one and I just wanted to introduce the setting and characters. If you want more, please let me know.

A/N (2020)

Finally got round to editing and proof-reading. I'm trying to keep it as close to the original as possible but also include more details and correct any wrongs. So please do let me know if you see any mistakes. And thank you all for 10k reads! x