Death of Dr. Strange

Stephen Strange remembered the Ancient One's words about how his individual existence was tied to a vast Multiverse. He saw universes where other versions of himself died. In that moment Dr. Strange the gifted surgeon was dead and in his place stood Dr. Strange the Sorceror and master of the New York Sanctum. The reason he remembered this was because he came face to face with his last patient and he knew who that patient was...Anakin Skywalker.

Dr. Strange remembered from several years ago Emperor Palpatine's instructions to not reveal Vader's identity to anyone. Once the rest of his team arrived including his nurse Christine Palmer a medical assistant droid covered Anakin's face in rags. The surgery was the most difficult one Strange ever performed. The operation lasted 18 hours and the entire time Skywalker groaned and shouted in pain.

Strange was forced to tell the anesthetic nurse over Christine's protests to not administer anesthesia to the patient. Strange by the Emperor's orders couldn't elaborate on why this was necessary. He simply said Imperial decree directly from the Emperor. By that point the Empire was only two days old so Christine reluctantly accepted Strange's explanation. Strange was grateful as it calmed the rest of the surgery team including his co lead surgeon Anderson. Anderson made errors when circumstances changed pre surgery and this was the biggest alterations of circumstances before a surgery in Strange's career. The Avengers and the Jedi were no more and in place of Anakin Skywalker would be a dangerous cyborg known only as Darth Vader. It would be a miracle of anyone else discovered Darth Vader's true identity.

Strange and the surgeons were ordered to leave the room by the lone medical droid as Vader's helmet was placed on his head. Strange remembered the chill that ran down his spine when he heard the loud breathing through Vader's respirator. He realized that Vader would always be associated with the rhythmic breathing from his respirator. Strange's conscience strained with guilt as he realized he gave birth to something that would alter the course of history and add to the current misery people felt with the birth of the Empire.

"The burns are 3rd degree so they'll be constant irritation with muscle movement. We managed to reset the injuries to his joints with micro filaments made of a thin wiring of Cortosis. Medical droids with the proper programming should be able to remove these in 6 weeks. However there are microscopic fractures within the joints that will cause slight irritation when bending and extending. The armor was designed by Tony Stark. I notified him of the severity of the injuries so that the armor's fit and dexterity would dull the chronic pain he'll feel. He should be awake in a few hours." Strange explained to the Emperor.

"Thank you for your thorough report on Lord Vader's progress. You truly are a gifted surgeon. Medical droids when programmed right are capable but rarely are they able to operate in unique or unorthodox circumstances. You on the other hand have made a career out of operating on...unique patients. I'm forever grateful." Emperor Palpatine thanked with a false humility

"My pleasure your excellency." Strange replied mechanically

Strange was eager to leave the presence of the wrinkled and ancient looking Emperor whose face was hidden in his black cloak. Strange was uncomfortable with his sociopathic demeanor and calm in the face of all the violence that erupted throughout the planet upon his ascension to the Imperial throne. Strange was shocked to find that Christine wanted to remain in the Empire. Strange attempted to warn Christine of his suspicions about Emperor Palpatine's intentions but Christine argued Strange was the problem. She wasn't interested in his proposal to run off into obscurity and away from public life at his urging.

"You're running from the problem when you swore an oath to do good for those that are injured." Christine argued

"No I swore an oath to do no harm. Helping an Empire that killed Jedi and Avengers indiscriminately isn't honoring that oath." Strange countered

"It's not about you Stephen. It's about those that need us. That doesn't change because of which government is in charge. The sick will always need good nurses and doctors even if the nicest kindergarten teacher in the world was in charge. Don't make global events involving the government revolve around you. Even you wouldn't be so arrogant to make that argument." Christine said

"It's not about me. It's about us. If the Empire is willing to wipe out peacekeepers you don't think they'll want to wipe out doctors and nurses. I don't want you to get hurt." Strange pleaded

"I'm not afraid and I'm not yours to save. Not anymore. If you want to run then you go ahead. I'm staying and I'm going to do good for those that need my help even if it means taking a risk."

"So that's it. You're going to ask me to leave your apartment even though that means never seeing me again. We've known each other for 15 years and dated for 5 of those years." Strange said heartbroken

Christine took a deep breath after placing her hands on her hips.

"It was never gonna work out between us." Christine said solemnly

"Why not?"

"Because Stephen…you have to be the one holding the knife. And I always respected you for it, but I couldn't love you for it."

Strange was reminded of all this when he noticed the dead Inquisitor known as the First Brother tending to Wanda. Strange knew that the Multiverse was fracturing but at a rate too early. The fracturing was supposed to take place on 2038 after Luke Skywalker assisted Darth Vader in killing Emperor Palpatine. So there clearly was another entity tapped into the Multiverse besides Kang the Conqueror. That meant his car accident happening after leaving Christine's apartment due to their argument about whether to remain in the Empire and his subsequent rescue by Karl Mordo where not the only alterations to his life.

There would be other changes to his story as a result of the merging of the universe containing the Sacred Timeline and the Galaxy Far Far Away. Strange was pulled out of the pocket dimension he was hiding in and came face to face with the First Brother Galen Marek. Strange realized this Galen Marek came from another universe and that Scarlet Witch was gone. The Wanda Maximoff that Galen helped to full consciousness was not the one Strange knew. This alternate Wanda glared at Strange.

"Where are my children?" Wanda demanded

"What children?" Strange asked

"Fine you won't tell me. Then I'll force you to tell me." Wanda said her eyes glowing red