Is it Love?

Valkyrie knew something was off about Skulduggery. The way he moved, the darkness brewing in his voice and the way his facade stared blankly into the distance. Even in the Bentley, tensions grew quietly.

"Are you alright?" Valkyrie asked, as they drove by Roarhaven. The silence of the night deafening to her ears. The moonlight seemed to shiver over the valley, silently comforting Valkyrie while the wind raced around her.

"Yes."

"I know you aren't."

"For a child, you are quite the idiot. Valkyrie, for once just leave me alone on this."

"No. I know you aren't okay and all these things are happening. As your partner-

"Just shut up!"

The car swerved, bounding across the cobble stone streets. Spinning the wheel into a small alleyway, the world seemed to go past her eyes. Cats jumped out of their way, rats scurrying to their families while birds slept without a care. The Bentley roared down the road, Skulduggery staring straight ahead.

Clutching the door frame, Valkyrie bit her lip. No. She didn't want to shut up. She didn't want to be quiet and she certainly didn't like being told that. However,  Skulduggery... No, this wasn't Skulduggery.

"Skulduggery....?" Valkyrie's voice trailed off as they hit a speed bump. Bouncing in her chair she knew something was really wrong. Seeing Anastasia.... her gut began turning.

The Bentley slammed to a stop in middle of the street. Skulduggery unbuckled himself, pausing for a moment. He stared at her, watching, waiting...

"You are right Valkyrie. I am not okay. Not in the slightest but in my usual style, I am fine. I am dandy. Life is great."

"Skulduggery...."

"Valkyrie," he stared at her. Eyes dead with the passage of time.

"What is it?"

"Thank you," Skulduggery turned to leave, opening up the door ever so slightly.

"For what?"

"For being you."

They both got out of the car as the breeze licked their faces with frozen bliss. Reaching for the back, a familiar shout came from the boot. Vicious, unadulterated screaming rose as Skulduggery cocked his gun. Valkyrie could feel the tension radiating off him, begging him to stop this madness but it fell on deaf ears.

This was Skulduggery Pleasant after all. Her mentor. Her guide. Her partner. Years of 'saving the world' had taught her many things and yet.... nothing about him.

"Skulduggery!" Anastasia cursed, banging against the boot of the Bentley, "Let me out of this box."

"Doesn't she know what a car is?" Valkyrie asked.

"You're kidding right?"

Rolling her eyes, Valkyrie cultivated a flame. It leapt and danced in her palm, battling against the elements. With a quiet nod, Skulduggery popped the boot, sending Anastasia falling to the concrete.

She struggled against her restraints, trying to bite their ankles, baring her blackened teeth.

"Anastasia..."

"What do you possibly want?" Her lip quivered, blood soaked tears slowly dropping from her eyes, "Just let me die. Shoot me now. This isn't a life I want. No. Please. Just let me die. You aren't Skulduggery. Not the one I fell in love with. Not the man I use to share a bed with. Just let me die."

"Calm down," Skulduggery murmured, running a hand through her hair, "Help me get Jacky back."

"Then what? We will be a happy family again? Fairy tales don't exist."

"Please Anastasia. For old times sake."

She looked at him. Watching. Weighing her options. It made Valkyrie sick.

"Fine. I'll help."
............................................................
There were many things that his father taught him before his untimely death. Many, many life lessons.

Number one, don't let the enemy out of his sight. Sanguine may have been sent to watch him, but Jacky was no fool.

The American seemed like a piece of work, same with his woman. An Adept with a Remnant.... nasty, awful things.

He remembered that one Remnant in the war. The way it screamed as he burnt it. The way it slithered out of its human host. Jacky couldn't help the smile that spread across his face. Fond memories. Very fond memories.

This time however, he seemed to like this English girl.

"So what's a place like you doing in a girl like this?" Jacky asked as they all drove down a Roarhaven street, the metal box creaking with every motion. Jacky couldn't believe his eyes.

A metal box that moved so smoothly! They called it a car... What a stupid name.... metal box sounded so much nicer.

Tanith laughed, "Careful boy, you don't want to upsetting my love."

"She's mine," Sanguine mumbled as he placed a loving arm around his woman.

Jacky held up his hands in defeat, "I guess we could share."

"Careful," Tanith warned.

Jacky chortled, "Or what? You'll kill me. You'll make me suffer a long painful death? I am already dead and been suffering for over 400 years," Jacke began to chuckle, "And when finally awake from the eternal struggle of time, I find out that my father... My father. Doesn't matter now. Sorry for wanting to speak to a beautiful woman when I see one."

That shut them up for the rest of the car ride....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey everyone. I am back in business. Hoped you enjoyed the chapter and don't forget to vote if you like it

Thanks so much for all your support and love. You all are brilliant.

Till next time....