𝟏𝟏, traitors and unexpected visitors

XI. a few days before, 1919

    After stepping out the Garrison, her mind ran wild. Her brother had not only employed a random woman but a random woman who is working for the enemy. Vivian had no intention of walking through those doors to listen in on the blonde's phone call. She just wanted some liquor.

"Expect the unexpected" her mother would say. It's something her aunt would say from time to time too. Those words stuck with her everyday. Every morning. You can expect anything to go a certain way when you have the Shelby name.

She knew Grace was someone not to trust, but she never expected that. But it made sense as she put the pieces together. The inspector and her. Both Irish and arrived at the same time. She was keen on getting the job at the Garrison, and what better place to be to get close to the Peaky Blinders.

On the phone call, they spoke of her family and the guns. As well as Vivian herself. The warrant. Grace had ask if it was handled and wondering if Vivian would go around telling the truth of the events. But it hurt as so much more when she spoke of her brother. How he trusted her and how she is getting closer. Tom trusted her and she was using him.

They arranged a meeting and ended the call. Vivian was by the door when she exited the back room. Grace and Vivian were both wide-eyed, looking at each other. She had left without a words from either of them. Vivian planned to follow her to their meeting. She was still shocked. And felt pity for her brother.

Carrying the bottles, she made her to the Golden to see who was there. It wasn't her plan but she also didn't plan to hear that the barmaid was a traitor.

"Vivian!" Ryan yelled from the bar. She put on a smile, ignoring the new information and planned on enjoying her evening with her boys. The boy was stumbling out of his chair, as the Gilbert boy laughed from beside him. He walked toward her — bumping into many people in the process — with open arms. She was suffocating as he squeezed her.

"Stop, stop, stop." She said, laughing slightly. He pulled away wrapping his arm around her, dragging her toward the bar.

"Look Scotty, it's your girlfriend." He laughed, mouthing the last word. He was to drunk and carefree to realise what he was saying.

"How about you seat down?" Scott laughed, looking at Ryan's state. Vivian pushed him toward the barstool he sat on before.

"How about I seat over there with them nice ladies?" He said, already making his way over to their table.

The Shelby girl went to follow him, but she was stopped "Let's just watch and let him make a fool of himself." He said. She took Ryan's old seat at the bar, "why'd you bring your own whiskey. This is a pub." He smiled.

"It's always good to have extra." She smiled back, looking around the crowded pub, " why is it so busy anyway?"

Scott shrugged in response, "You okay? You seem . . . off." Watching as she turned back, he saw the slight change in her stance before she returned back to normal.

"I'm good. Just Tom making lives harder." She lied, sort of. She had seen Ada before going to the Garrison, and realised how much she actually missed her sister. She didn't planned on telling anyone she went to see her.