Darker than Light

Once upon a time, there was a lonely vampire named Arima. She was filled with joy and honesty, always eager to help for a good cause.

When the time came to fulfill her duty as a vampire, to become like her ancestors, to finally be able to hunt for her blood, she contemplated. She knew her decisions might have drastic effects on who she was. She knew that she was not meant to be a vampire.

One night came, and she escaped her home, searching for a new start. A new family, knowing that her own already doesn't appreciate her personality. As she wandered alone in a forest, she found a red gem in the shape of a heart, implanted in a huge stone. It started glowing, and when she approached it, to her surprise, the gem started speaking.

— Little girl, it mouthed with a powerful voice, you have a pure heart, but you are not strong. A strong individual hunts for their food. In your case, your food is your family. Believe me when I speak these words.

The little girl, being rather gullible, chose to take her words for granted, thinking that she was a god. As she walked back the trail she took, it was too late. Vampires were sent for hunting. They mistook Arima for a wandering traveler, a human. As they leeched out her blood, she fainted where she stood. The gem absorbed her soul from far away.

-+-

Preston took a deep breath as he woke up from his sleep. It was the middle of the night. He removed his clothes and dragged himself towards a big bath filled with water. He flinched as he entered it. It was cold and uncomfortable, but it was worth the feeling. He relaxed and looked at the ceiling of his tent. When he finished, he wore his clothes back and cleaned the bath. Suddenly, a zipping noise was heard.

—... Preston? whispered Ered, peeking inside his tent.

Preston looked at her. Ered stared at him for a while since Preston's eyes were glowing in the dark, before continuing her sentence.

— Uh, she stuttered, Harrison wanted to talk to you, like, right now.

— Why doesn't he come to me instead? he questioned, angrily. It's getting really annoying, he treats everyone like some sort of owl. And it's three in the morning.

— His excuse is that he is busy... she muttered. Yeah, you are right, it's... annoying

They both stare at each other awkwardly. Ered scratched the back of her head.

— Well, mumbled Preston. I'm coming soon.

— Right, Ered replied.

She left the tent slowly and closed the zipper. Max walked past her as he pulled his hair out of frustration. David was seen walking by him, as well as Nikki and Gwen.

— Why now, David!?! he shouted, furious. I'm fucking fed up with this shit! For fuck's sake!

He kicked a rock on the ground. Nikki and Gwen noticed that their shadow was vibrating. David was silent.

— Calm down, Max, warned Gwen. You should be happy that Neil woke up.

— It's three in the morning! Max ranted. I'm glad that Neil is awake, but it's about Harrison! He has information that he refuses to tell us!

— Hey, come on Max... sighed Nikki. Harrison is doing what he can with-

Harrison opened his tent abruptly.