04.

━━━━━━2009━━━━━━       in the present        ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

━━━━━━2009━━━━━━
in the present
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Chapter 4. The Night of the comet

     IMANI SAT OUTSIDE OF THE HOSPITAL ROOM WITH FLOWERS FOR VICKI, she was the last one to visit her

IMANI SAT OUTSIDE OF THE HOSPITAL ROOM WITH FLOWERS FOR VICKI, she was the last one to visit her. The others all saw her yesterday in the morning or in the afternoon, when visitors were still allowed. She just wanted to check on her to see how she was doing and how Matt was holding up.

A tap on her shoulder awakened her from her sleep, making her body jolt and her eyes open fast.

"Mani? Why are you here so early?" Matt looked at the clock and said, "It's like 10 in the morning, you know."

"You could've come in later so you could sleep better."

"I know, but I wanted to see how Vick was doing. Is she doing okay?" Imani asked in a low voice.

Sitting down next to her, he turned to the window at Vicki for a second, then back to Imani. "Yeah, the doctors said she'd be home in a few days. She just needs to have her checkup, but..." His voice started to freeze up.

"What is it?"

"Before you go in there, I want you to know she's still a bit shaken up."

"I will."

Grabbing her hand he stopped her from going in, "One more thing...she said it was a vampire."

"A vampire?" Her eyes squinted at him. "You joking with me?"

"That's what I said. Her mind is probably a bit foggy, hopefully the antibiotics can help."