12.

━━━━━━2009━━━━━━
in the present
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
Chapter 12: 162 Candles

     EVER SINCE SHE STEPPED FOOT into the grill, Imani Bennett has been sparking conversations with her friends and drinking drinks, but that was about fifteen minutes ago

EVER SINCE SHE STEPPED FOOT into the grill, Imani Bennett has been sparking conversations with her friends and drinking drinks, but that was about fifteen minutes ago. Feeling drained from talking, she got up looking for something else to do, which she did. She now stood in front of a beam next to Elena, holding a drink.

     Her sister and friends sat at the booth still—Caroline sat next to Matt, and Bonnie sat next to Tyler, who faced Caroline.

     The birthday boy stood a few meters from them. He laughed while playing pool with Lexi. It was the first time she had ever seen him so happy and out of his comfort zone. She watched from the corner of her eye at the look Elena gave him.

     She observed her, her doe eyes drowning in anger and regret and her upper lip turning into a frown that made her cheeks flush a bit red, but if you weren't looking, you'd think it was a loving moment between boyfriend and girlfriend.

     "Why don't you just talk to him?" Imani asked her, nudging her shoulder lightly.

     "It's not that simple." Elena sighed, making eye contact with Stefan, giving him a slight smile and wave. He is doing the same.

    "Then what was th—"

     "Stefan smiles; alert the media." The voice of Damon interrupted them as he walked over, standing in between the two of them, smirking at Imani.

     "Well. You haven't given him a lot of reasons to be happy lately." Elena responded, glaring at him and watching Stefan once again.

     "No. You're right, poor Stefan, persecuted throughout eternity by this depraved brother. Does it get tiring to be so righteous?"

     "Yea. It flares up in the presence of a psychopath." Elena spat at him. Imani giggled at their little banter, covering it up and finishing the remaining portion of her lemonade when Damon pierced his eyes at her.

     "Ouch! consider this psychopath's feelings hurt." He fake-cried, laughing at her.

     "What did you do to my brother?"

     "I'm gonna need a less vague question." He asked her.

     "When you did what you did to Jeremy's memory of Vicky, what else did you do to him?"

     "You asked me to take away his memory of fangs and all the bad stuff. You wanted me to take away his suffering."

     "But he's acting different. He seems okay with everything and a little too okay. I mean, he's studying. He's not doing drugs. He's not drinking. Are you sure you didn't do something else?"