Picnic In The Garden

Nejis pov

Dear neji
Please meet me in the garden at 12. I have a surprise for you ;⁠)

I read through the letter that was slipped through the door. I assume it was from shikamaru. At least I hope it is, getting a winky face from anyone else would be weird!

I stepped through the garden maze and what I saw in the centre shocked me. Shikamaru was sitting on a blanket with a picnic basket behind him.

"Glad you can make it neji. Come I got a lovely meal with your name on it" he patted a spot next to him.

"Is this your idea of a date?" I sat down with a teasing smile.

"Umm well not exactly I just-" he stuttered as his face went beat red.

"No need to get flustered Nara, I find it very charming" I nudged him playfully.

"Haha of course. It was just a joke" he looked away sadly. I stared at him curiously. What's with that look? "Anyway let's dig in"

He handed out some triangle shaped sandwiches and poured me some tea.

"Wow this is good" I took in the aroma of the tea "tell me this, did you make everything here or did you order someone else to do it"

"You wound me sir!" He placed a hand on his chest mockingly "I obviously ordered someone else to do it"

"I appreciate the honesty" I giggled as I leaned against his shoulder. He's changed so much since I first got here. He seems a lot more caring and attentive now. I feel a lot better living here, in fact it feels like a second home. I guess hinata was right.

"Now if you thought the sandwiches were great wait till you see the cake" he pulled out a giant chocolate cake.

"Oh wow. Shikamaru I don't think I can eat all this" I looked at him worriedly.

"Not to worry. Anything we don't eat can be handed out among the staff" shikamaru said reassuringly.

"Oh thank god. I thought it was going to go to waste" I breathed a sigh of relief.

"You really are something else" shikamaru smirked as he pulled me closer. I felt a blush creep up my cheeks. Being this close to him feels...kinda nice.