The hour of sustenance

Later that evening, Maude arrived, carrying with her an appetizing-smelling tray. The first trace of edible food since they had arrived here.

She went into Lucy's room where the two investigators were gathered, reading newspapers. Alistair comfortably installed on an armchair, Lucy spread out on the bed, her legs stirring in the air.

Maude placed the tray on the coffee table in the center of the room. To the delicious smell that escaped from the tray, Lucy rose like an animal having smelled the aroma of its prey. Alistair delicately folded his newspaper and put it next to the tray on the table. Lucy knelt before the meal left by the servant.

 - I brought you something to eat. I thought you must be hungry, after the not very nutritious lunch this afternoon.

Lucy turned towards Maude, a look filled with infinite gratitude. Stars shone in her eyes and saliva almost dripped from her mouth. A big, smug smile spread across her face.

 - Maude, are you for hire? I want you as my personal cook! It smells so good!

She started clapping her hands excitedly.

Alistair, on the other hand, kept a more blasé attitude regarding the feast that awaited him.

 - I didn't know what your food preferences were. I had to guess. I hope what I have done will be to your liking.

At those words, she bowed and stepped back to let them enjoy their meal.

Lucy, impatient, lifted the bell that covered the tray, revealing a Kidney Pie. A golden crust on the outside that looked crispy with a leaf pattern on top. The interior was filled with chunks of beef cut into chunks, juicy and cooked to perfection, as well as kidneys, fried onions and mushrooms and a brown sauce that coated all the ingredients in a creamy way. The pie was accompanied by baked potatoes that were crunchy, golden and soft at the same time.

Everything had been arranged with care and attention on ornate plates with silver cutlery and stemmed glasses.

Lucy was in awe of the food, waiting for only one thing: to swallow everything that these plates contained. She almost looked like a wild animal, ready to attack. Alistair felt that it was better not to make her wait any longer, if he wanted to avoid being devoured in turn.

He himself was touched by the attention Maude had had in preparing a meal especially for them.

Unable to hold back any longer, Lucy grabbed her pie with her hands, as the bottom of the filling fell onto her plate, and crunched into it voraciously, her jaws grinding the beef and dough more efficiently than any machine. Her gaze was blank. She had become an animal, focused only on her desire to eat.

Alistair was giving her a desperate look as she tried to fit the whole pie into her mouth without even using her cutlery.

While his companion struggled with the pie, he himself turned to Maude to compliment her on her cooking.

 - Thank you very much for your dish. Pie is one of my favorite dishes.

 - Please, it's not a big deal. It didn't take me a lot of time. Moreover, I had to make amends for the somewhat rude reception you received. Lately has been particularly difficult.

She sighed and her gaze clouded over. Alistair secretly hoped to be able to get more information from the maid right now.

A groan from Lucy interrupted his thoughts. After having devoured its pie, the beast was now attacking the potatoes. This was a massacre Alistair was witnessing. A potato carnage. So many deaths already to mourn. The inner flesh of the potatoes, more tender, flew in all directions. Alistair almost felt like it was guts that his partner was making flutter. Potatoes were already turning to mush in the infernal machine that was her mouth and heading with frightening speed towards her stomach, joining her previous victims. No crumb could escape this genocide. The victims could no longer be counted. The defeated bodies of the potatoes were skewered by the fork and knew the terrible fate of the destructive teeth. A few valiant potato soldiers still stood, the last survivors to defend the plains of the plate. But they were no match for their assailant.