Library and Numbers

Alistair was going around in circles in the count's office. He had already spent his entire morning trying to search for evidence, even insignificant, that might have helped him in his investigation. He had combed through every document, every sheet, every paragraph, every word, without finding anything very interesting. No debts, no dubious business the Earl might have carried on. He hadn't even managed to find any more information about the company that so regularly bought automatons from the Count. In the account register, the sales made to this company were indicated by two initials W. L.. There was nothing else. No other document that would indicate the identity of these mysterious buyers. He found this rather suspicious but he could only afford to speculate at the moment.

He hated this situation. Too many unknowns in this equation. It was problematic.

He heaved a sigh. He had no idea in which direction to push his investigations. He hoped that Lucy had had more luck than him in his interrogations. It was probably one of the only leads he had left.

He had tried to question Maude several times, but each time he spoke to her he felt as if he were speaking to a prison door. The maid was not very talkative and spoke in enigmas, unspoken words and riddles. It was hurting his brain. He didn't like wasting his time thinking about the meaning of each of her words. He found it tiring to have to spend so much time communicating, while the investigation was not progressing an inch.

He was beginning to think that the count might have some hidden files about his dealings with that famous W.L.. But he had no idea where to look for them.

At times, he had a furious urge to bang his head against a wall, very violently. But, as he wanted each of his neurons to remain in good condition, he preferred not to put this project to work.

As noon approached, while Alistair continued to examine everything without stopping in the count's office, Maude interrupted him in his work.

She entered the room with, in her hands, a tray loaded with the meal she had prepared for him, as well as a book that she flipped through carelessly. She put it on a low table as she passed.

She then went to move a table covered with a white lace tablecloth embroidered with small red flowers, in front of Alistair so that he could eat at his ease. On top, she installed the cutlery, a porcelain plate, as well as silver cutlery. In less than two seconds, she improvised an origami in the shape of a rose with the paper napkin and placed a balloon glass in front of the plate.

She placed a silver serving bell on the plate, inside which was Alistair's meal.

Already, an appetizing aroma was reaching Alistair's nostrils. He hadn't realized how much time had passed while he was working and had just realized he was hungry.

 - Thank you very much, Maude, for your concern. I struggle to move forward. By the way, wouldn't you happen to know if the count didn't have a workbench, another place of work, in which he could keep documents?

Maude cocked her head slightly to the side, thinking.

 - Not that I know. There is only the laboratory in the attic, but you have already visited it, and there were no documents kept there.

Alistair nodded.

 - I see Maude, thank you very much.

Maude nodded.

Alistair lifted the bell to discover what it was hiding. Below, he was dazzled by the dish that Maude had concocted for him. Like a butler, she spouted:

 - Here is duck breast accompanied by roasted apples with spices, with cider vinegar, and a touch of honey, as well as candied fennel petals, porcini mushrooms and pan-fried chanterelles, all on a bed of baked potatoes .