The Son of the Sun

David nodded under the astonished eyes of everyone else. Sissi didn't often challenge students, just those she considered worthy of fighting against her. All duels broke off immediately to look at them from the side, contemplating with less pleasure the delicate activity that Ganymede had prepared for them, showing them one by one the various snakes that he had carefully prepared and regularly pulling others from his throat.

David stretched his arm out to the side, using these repeated movements to try to force his mind to adjust to this body and its limitations, mentally preparing himself for the fight that awaited him. Sissi was strong, both mentally and physically. She would not let herself be intimidated, moreover, she would study his every move to be able to counter them. He knew in advance that Sissi was faster and stronger than him. He could only count on strategy and the element of surprise, hoping that she underestimated him a little. However, it remained a risky bet. He greatly doubted his chances of winning. He was going to have to use all his physical and technical abilities if he wanted to be able to strike her. It was a truly distressing prospect. How he missed the time when he could easily defeat most people without taking much trouble.

If only he had kept his previous abilities, he would have been much more confident in his victory. But it was not with regrets that he would succeed in winning. He had to stop dwelling on the past. He was David now. He was David now. He had to remember that.

Sissi decided they were going to fight with daggers. She chose two from the pile of knives, kept one for herself, and gave the other to David. The dagger in his hand was small and had a thin blade. The hilt was very simple, with a relatively comfortable leather handle. He moved it in his hand to feel the contact against his palm. It was a good quality weapon, which would be enough for this training fight.

He took a deep breath and couldn't help but curse under his breath.

"By Ignis..."

He had to be ready.

They stood at the other end of the arena, facing each other. Sissi twirled the dagger she had in her hand. Even so, she seemed menacing. She tossed it into the air before catching it and placing it in front of her eyes. The fight was about to begin.

David brandished his own blade and, before lunging at her, he cut his palm and clenched his fist. He let his blood fall drop by drop onto the ground, creating a scarlet trail on the sandy floor of the arena. It was a ritual that he could not forget, even if it no longer had any meaning today, only to maintain the memory. He kissed his hand, murmuring:

"May angels fall from heaven and heaven burst into flames!"

The two fighters began to circle, facing each other, a deadly round which would lead to the attack, to the fight. A round during which they looked at each other, waiting for the first one to show a sign of weakness. Neither seemed to give in. They stared at each other without flinching. It was as if two lightning bolts were clashing across their eyes. The atmosphere around the arena had become different, and heavier. Everyone could feel the tension circulating and everyone held their breath waiting for the moment when it would all begin. No one paid any attention to Ganymede's serpents, despite the time he had spent preparing them. The silence generously spread its veils, also becoming a spectator of this scene. The scene was ready and just waiting for the curtain to rise.

Then, suddenly, lightning roared and the two fighters took off like thunder, brandishing their daggers before them. The two blades met in a violent and abrupt clash that almost made the spectators step back. You could almost see sparks flying as metal rubbed against metal with a hellish grinding sound, a moan of steel groaning under the blow while refusing to yield.