A rain of stones

The sky seemed particularly bright that evening. The stars shone like beacons in the night. It felt like broad daylight. The sky took on a soft purple hue as the night progressed little by little, bringing with it a darker curtain that it was preparing to throw over the celestial vault. Eva did not remember having ever seen more beautiful stars than that evening, far from the dull and vaguely dark welkin that light pollution had always offered her. The air was crisp and fresh, as night fell, the breath of both of them became little clouds of vapor that came together, visible against the clear and unobstructed immensity of the sky.

The moment seemed magical, with the three other islands levitating above them. The mountains that surrounded them. The lights of the festival lanterns. The cries of joy of the hunters who came to meet up to have a moment of conviviality between two battles. During these evenings, the hunters became ordinary people again, who wanted to enjoy life. Perhaps they were even more energetic than normal people, biting life even more vigorously. Cheerfulness seemed to reign. The sadness and fatality that overwhelmed them all, at the thought of upcoming battles, of upcoming losses, had faded away. Or rather, had been temporarily forgotten. They relegated them to the back of the mind, in the hope that they would never return. Everything and everyone wanted to leave room for festivities. Forget everything, leave it aside, just for one evening. Forget that those with whom we celebrate may not be there tomorrow. Forget that your own life is threatened. Forget that during this time, others continue to tremble. Forget everything, just to be able to continue breathing for a few more peaceful moments. Forget everything, just to be able to continue loving, and having fun. Memory was a weight that was often too heavy, as knowledge could be. But man was a creature of light, or rather an insect attracted to it, despite everything, and, unconsciously, he could not endure exposure to darkness for too long, lest he himself become defiled, a monster of darkness, stained with gray. So he lied to himself, voluntarily and cheerfully.

But, nevertheless, Eva, even if she could not really ignore what she knew, what she was inevitably aware of, wished gently, with innocent fervor, to lie to herself for a few moments too. She felt happy, she wanted to laugh and smile. That Jonas could smile at her too, without any worries. So that they too could be, just for once, two young people together at a party. So that nothing would be threatening in the shadows of these floating islands, in the excessive expenditure of these young people who, in barely a decade, were all destined to sink into the depths of the earth. They would perhaps be a little closer to the wine cellars that they loved so much.

Suddenly, she felt a stone hit her shoulder quite violently. She couldn't hold back a slight cry of surprise in shock. Jonas immediately turned around to see what had caused this blow.

Behind them, in the dark alley next to the squadron building, stood a group of young brigade recruits. One of them was juggling small rocks in his hand, a smirk on his face.

Eva felt Jonas tense up immediately. The scene was so familiar, too familiar. She could even feel the presence inside Jonas panicking as well. It was like a bad replay of a painful memory.

Eva had never dared to tell Jonas, but she found this other person reassuring, like a benevolent guardian who tries to hide his kindness. Jonas might not be able to see it but she could feel it, this being meant her no harm. Perhaps he dared to reveal himself more easily to her than to Jonas, their bond was almost too strong for that.

She tried to reassure herself, that it had nothing to do with last time, things were different, they had to be.

The stone juggler sent another one in their direction. Now warned, Eva seized it in mid-flight with confidence. She hoped, without having too many illusions, to no longer be the same as during that disastrous evening that had changed her destiny forever.