Stressing

(Cairo in the MM above.)

I walked to the end of the hall to our condo door and searched my purse for my keys. I found them and opened the door, the living room was trashed, pillows, glass, pictures all over the floor and cotton ripped from the couch. I sat my purse down and went to the bedroom and it was the same exact way, completely torn apart. I slowly opened the bathroom door and Brandon was lying there face down in a pool of blood. I kneeled down to check his pulse, nothing, his eyes were completely shut and his skin was cold.

I sat there holding his lifeless body, shocked and confused. All of a sudden I was breathing heavy and my throat swelled up. I couldn't breathe, I was dying too.

"Lani! Lani!" I heard his voice call as my vision blurred and I held my hand over my chest. I took my last breath.

My eyes shot open and I quickly held my hand at my chest trying to steady my breathing.

"Lani, you okay?" Brandon asked holding my shoulders staring at me.

"I-I'm okay." I said in between breaths.

"What was it?"

"A nightmare, you were dead."

"Aww man, come here, I'm right here." He said pulling me into his chest.

We were at home, in our bed. It had been about two weeks since the shooting and he had just got back from Rhode Island doing a show. I was having crazy nightmares since we got back from the hospital, so he tried his best not to leave me.

"What time is it?" I asked pulling away from him and sitting up.

"Uhh, 8 am." He said tapping his phone.

"I don't wanna go back to sleep, I'm gonna go make breakfast." I said throwing the covers off me and getting up.

I went to brush my teeth, wash my face then head into the kitchen to start on breakfast.
Brandon wasn't able to eat anything too heavy or acidic, so I made him an egg white omelet, shrimp and grits and a strawberry-banana smoothie. I wasn't very hungry so I made a small bowl of cheesy grits and drank some water. I sat on the counter swinging my legs and texting Somiya about about my nightmares and how things have been. 

"Good morning." Brandon said kissing me and looking over the food I made.

I didn't respond, I was too into my phone and my mind was completely somewhere else. 

"Brandon do you think you'll stop loving me?" I asked randomly. 

"Huh?" He asked looking up from his food. 

"Like, ever not wanna be with me." 

"Nah, I should be asking you that, all the crazy shit I get us into." He laughed. 

"I wouldn't, I love you too much."

"Why you ask me that?" 

"No reason, just thinking." 

"I been loving you too long, I don't want nobody else." 

I smiled, feeling more assured but still not understanding why I even asked in the first place. I cleaned the kitchen and went to take a shower and get dressed. I conditioned my hair to wear it curly with a little bun in the front. 

"Where you going?" Brandon asked walking in. 

"To see my mom." 

"What's wrong?" 

"Nothing." 

"You only go see her when you need help." 

"Well, maybe I just wanna talk to her." I said smoothing my edges out.