All I Got

"Dr. Graham you're needed on the 4th floor C wing, Dr. Graham." I heard an indistinct female voice call through a soeaker.

I could feel the brightness of the lights on my closed eyelids, so I slowly opened them. I was in a hospital, the room was quiet and I felt like I couldn't move. The last thing I remembered was yelling at Brandon and bright lights. I wiggled my toes, and they moved, thank god. I leaned forward and suddenly heard light snoring, looking over I realized it was Brandon. I pushed the button on the side of my bed to signal a nurse that I was awake, and laid back feeling pain in my lower stomach.

"Baby." I whispered quickly feeling my stomach which was still big and round.

"Hello Ms. Ricci, I'm doctor Flint, I'm glad you're finally awake." A tall, Indian man said smiling as he walked closer to me.

"Finally?" I asked trying to sit up.

"It's been about a week and a half. You suffered a bit of trauma, we induced a light coma to help save that beautiful baby of yours. is he, the father?" He asked motioning toward Brandon who was still asleep.

"Sadly." I said rolling my eyes.

"Well, I'll wake him up for you." He laughed tapping him with a clipboard.

He slowly opened his eyes and focused at me then jumped up.

"Lani, man, I thought I lost you." He said coming over to me and grabbing my hand.

I pulled away a little, and looked back up at the doctor. I remember clearly how things went down, and a week later I'm still mad. I don't care. I'm petty.

"Okay, so you're 29 weeks, 5 weeks from full term, the accident was pretty bad, one person didn't make it, the impact cau-"

"Who didn't make it?" I said immediately concerned.

"An 8 year old boy, he wasn't wearing a seatbelt and the father was slightly intoxicated when he hit your car."

"Oh my god, I.. I-" I said not even knowing what to say.

"It wasn't your fault, but listen, the impact caused a stir with the baby, we've been doing ultrasounds, his heartbeat has gotten much stronger since you came in. Your arm was broken, your ankle was sprained and you have some facial cuts from the glass flying through your window." He said flipping through a clipboard of papers.

I looked down and realize my left arm was in a cast and had Somiya's name and a heart on it, that fool.

"Your face not that bad baby." Brandon said looking over at me.

"Give me your phone, I just need the camera."

He reached out and gave it to me, and I looked at my face on the screen, I had three kinda deep slashes on my left cheek, they were red and whelped on the edges. I didn't even care about it, I was just happy my baby would be okay.

"Anything else I should know?" I asked.

"We want to keep you for a few more days, to monitor the baby's development and your healing. That's all."

"Okay, thank you."

"No problem, a nurse should be in soon to help you." She said, then walked out.

"I can't believe this is actually happening." I said throwing my head back into a pillow.

"I'm glad you good, I been in here going crazy."

"I'm happy you came, but I still want nothing to do with you."

"Milani I didn't do nothing with that girl, don't let me go over some shit like that."