11 - UNO

They offered to drive her to the hospital, and Aelia finally accepted Yeosang's offer. He did not ask why she chose him, but she told him when they were alone in the car.

«So, you're not curious why I chose you?»

«Should I be?»

«I don't know, you seem rather curious about whatever I do, so...»

He didn't look at her, he kept his eyes on the road. Aelia sighed.

«I know you followed me to the mall.»

«Right. Jongho said so.»

«Why did you?»

«I worry about you. I don't want you to get in trouble.»

«And why would I get in trouble?»

«I just have a feeling... that you might be the kind of person to get in trouble.»

Aelia looked at him, and she couldn't help but giggle for a moment. «Takes one to know one,» she said and watched him crack a smile.

«I have no idea what you're talking about.»

«Right.»

He dropped her off outside the main entrance of the surprisingly large hospital complex. Aelia didn't find it familiar in the slightest. Inside, she asked for directions and was sent through the corridors to a teaching area in the west wing. It felt like the staff was staring at her, and she didn't like it. At a desk, she was asked to register, which made things difficult from the very beginning.

«I'm sorry, I can't really register,» Aelia said, looking at the woman who handed her the paperwork.

«And why is that?»

Aelia hesitated for a moment, before sighing. «I don't have my memory back yet.»

«Oh, one of those,» the lady said with obvious malice in her voice. «Go sit down over there then, I'll have to call the boss.»

Aelia gave her a fake smile and sat down in a corner. She sat there for nearly an hour before the lady came and got her. With a quick wave, she had Aelia follow her down the corridor.

The rude lady left Aelia outside an office door, and with a roll of her eyes, Aelia knocked and opened the door. A man sat behind a messy desk and looked up at her, his hair slightly messy and his glasses on the tip of his nose.

«Come in, sit down,» he said, pointing to a chair. He was digging through papers before seemingly finding what he was looking for. «Welcome,» he said, sounding a lot more friendly than anyone else she had met at this hospital so far.

«Thank you.»

«So, you don't remember yet?»

«No, I don't.»

«That'll make things a little more difficult for you, as I'm sure you understand, but let's make the best out of it. I'm Chan, I'll be your boss here. Don't be afraid to knock on my door.»

«Okay, thanks,» she said, a little confused by his kindness.

«We never had a former slave that was an actual doctor before.»

«Oh, I'm not sure...»

«I'm sure,» he said, pulling out a photo of Aelia in a black gown, holding her diploma in front of her. It clearly stated that she was a doctor. «I found your records. You had a good reputation where you came from.»