Chapter 9

—Greyson's POV—

I stay silent, not knowing what to do.

Who am I?

Does she really not remember?

"Greyson." I say slowly after a minute of awkward staring.

"Greyson...Oh!" Her golden eyebrows begin to unfurrow as her state of confusion starts to smooth itself out.

I let out the breath I didn't realize I had been holding. Everything's fine-

"You go to my school, don't you? You're on the basketball team."

I sigh inwardly. So she doesn't remember.

"I, uh...Yeah." I say with a fake smile. I feel a pang of sadness travel throughout my body. Faye's look of confusion returns.

"Not to be rude, but why are you here? We're not exactly friends." She crosses her arms over her hospital gown, clearly feeling uncomfortable. I scratch the back of my neck as I feel a blush begin to creep its way up my neck and cheeks. How exactly do I explain my presence without sounding like a stalker or a psycho? Or a psycho-stalker?

"Well, you see, I-"

"Faye?" A woman's voice cuts me off as I get roughly shouldered to the side of the door's opening. A short woman and a tall man – neither in hospital scrubs – rush into the room, arms wide.

A feeling of dread washes over me. This must be Faye's parents.

If Faye barely knows who I am, I can bet that her parents aren't pleased to see me.

"My baby, are you alright?!" Mrs Williams exclaims as she wraps her arms around Faye in a bone-crushing embrace.

"Yes mom, calm down-" Faye begins, but gets cut off.

"We thought you were dead! Never scare up like that ever again!" Mrs Williams says, still tightly holding Faye. Faye makes eye contact with me and blushes.

"Who are you?" Asks Faye's dad, noticing me for the first time. He crosses his arms, trying to look intimidating. He definitely succeeded. "Why are you here?" He asks. I gulp.

"I'm Greyson. I, uh..."

"He's a friend from school." Faye says, saving me from melting into a puddle of embarrassment.

Mrs Williams steps away from Faye, staring me down. I can feel everyone's eyes on me, drilling holes into my body.

"Why are you here?" Repeats Mr Williams.

"I was visiting my great-aunt." I lie, feeling flustered. "While I was leaving, I saw Faye and thought I'd drop in to say hi."

"Only family members are allowed in here." Mr Williams says, not backing down from his tough-guy attitude.

"The door was open." I say simply.

"Dad, stop." Faye says, coming to my rescue. "Aren't I allowed to have friends?"

"Yes, of course." Says Mrs Williams, resting a hand on the man's arm. "Gary, give the boy a break."

Mr Williams falters under the woman's touch, giving in.

An uncomfortable silence sets over the room. I take it as an invitation to leave.

"I, uh, have to go." I say, edging out of the room. "I'll see you in school, Faye. Get better soon."