Chapter 10

-Faye's POV-

"Mom, stop."

"Stop what?" My mother looks up from her Sudoku book, confusion written across her face.

"Clicking your pen. It's annoying." I complain, irritation clear in my voice. I pull my hospital gown down my legs as far as it will go, then cross my arms.

We're waiting for word from the doctor – today he can tell us if I am able to go home or if I have to stay another week.

It's been a week since I woke up from the coma, and I've been bored for every second of it. I've done nothing but lay in this lumpy, uncomfortable bed and answer the same questions daily – am I in pain, do I feel dizzy, etc. The only exciting thing that's happened was that my dad snuck me in some fast food – a welcome change from cold toast and dry pasta that the hospital serves.

"I recon that's him walking down the hall there." Mom says, leaning forward so that she could see out through the doorway.

"Mom!" I hiss, alarmed. "Don't stare! Why are you so antsy?"

"Well sorry, but I can't wait to see if I can bring my baby home!"

"Mom, I'm seventeen. I'm not a baby. I should be the excited one, not you." I roll my eyes and lean back on the bed, slightly embarrassed. Why does she have to act like a child? It's not that big of a deal – I'm not winning the lottery or anything.

"Well someone has to be. You don't seem very thrilled." Mom says, scowling. She presses her mouth to a thin line as the Doctor walks through the door, clipboard in hand.

"Good day." He says, nodding to both of us.

I mutter a greeting in response. My mother wastes no time in getting to the point.

"Can she come home?" Mom asks, looking hopeful. The doctor laughs.

"I suppose that's the question, isn't it?" Both the doctor and my mother chuckle.

What the hell? Of course that's the question. I'll never understand adult humour.

"Well," The doctor flips through the papers on his clipboard. "Her scans came back with good results, so yes, she can leave as early as today."

My blood begins to boil. Talk about me like I'm not here, why don't you? I absolutely hate – no, loathe – when adults think they're high-and-mighty or all-knowing just because they're older. Your age does not determine your worth, dipstick. I understand that yes, adults do have more 'experience' than me, and more education, but that doesn't mean that they're better than me – it doesn't make me any less of a person. I'm a person, too, no matter how young.

I guess you can say that I have a problem with authority.

"Thanks, that's just what I wanted to hear!" Mom stands up and extends her hand for the doctor to shake with a huge smile on her face. The doctor shakes her hand and turns to me.

Great. So I'm not invisible.

"Miss Williams, you can't over exert yourself in the next month. It won't take much for you to end up back in that bed."

"No worries, doctor. I'll make sure to postpone my skydiving trip."

Mom makes a disproving face from behind the doctor. I pretend I don't see her.

The doctor chuckles and turns back to my mother.

"If she starts acting weirdly, call us or just bring her in. A nurse should come be shortly to help get her ready to take home."