Chapter 5

--Faye's POV--

I sat in shock as the doctors and nurses ran around my room, shouting a lot of big words that I didn't recognize. What was happening? Was I dying? What would happen to my parents? They'd be devastated.

The people gathered around my bed all talked with stern voices; some hovering over me, others seeing to the machinery that's keeping me alive. Their voices mixed with the sounds from the machines and became one loud roar, adding to my panic and confusion.

Then I heard it, one sound above all others. Clear as day.

The flatline of my heart rate monitor.

I took a deep breath and held it. I felt a weird sensation, almost like a vacuum sucking me in from behind. My vision began to elongate, giving me the feeling of looking through a drinking glass.

Oh my god.

I was dying.

The sounds I heard were becoming muffled, and not from confusion. I tried to focus on the scene in front of me, but it was impossible. My vision was too blurry and disoriented for me to make anything out. The sucking sensation was now more forceful, almost inescapable. I was drowning.

The last thing I heard was a loud voice, shouting “Three, two, one...!” over and over again. I probably only had seconds until I was sucked into whatever afterlife or oblivion came after your heart stops beating and your lungs deflate after your last breath.

With everything I had left, I screamed.

--Greyson's POV--

I was beginning to regret not taking Faye's advice. This party sucks. About a hundred people were crowded into a twelfth grader's house, drinking and partying while his parents were gone camping.

“So, you want to dance?” A blonde girl asks me, shouting over the loud electronic music blaring from huge speakers set up around the house. I shake my head and take another sip of Coke from my can. The girl, who was drunk, pouts and stumbles into the hoard of dancing people alone.

“Cheer up, Greyson.” Finn says from beside me, punching me in the shoulder.

“Don't talk to me, you're drunk.” I reply, glaring at him.

“Am not.” He slurs. I laugh dryly, then tip my can up, finishing it. “Why don't you just have a beer?” Finn asks as I put my empty can on the table by the leather couch we were occupying.

“Why don't you just screw off?” I say as Finn drunkenly giggles. “I'm driving you home, dip stick.”

“You don't need to be so uptight. Yeesh.” Finn says while standing up. “I'm gonna go...get another beer.” I grab hold of his shirt sleeve and yank him back down.

“I think you've had enough for one night.” Finn makes a whine of protest, but I barely hear it.

A girl's scream echoes loudly through the air, startling me.

My eyes go wide as I wildly swing my head back and forth, looking for the source. Everyone continued dancing and drinking in the crowded living room, as if nothing had happened.

“What are you looking for dude?” Finn asks.

“Didn't you hear that?” I ask, bewildered.

“Hear what?”