Chapter 1

- Faye's POV -

When the bell signaling the end of the day rang, I was out of school in a heartbeat. I slung my book bag over my shoulder as I walked out of the science room, intent on leaving before the crowd. I ran down the back stairs and out the glass doors, digging my car keys out of my bag. The wind and rain blew harshly at my face as I ran up beside my black second-hand car. I quickly unlocked the door and jumped in, getting out of the bad weather. I ran a hand through my naturally straight blonde hair, trying to untangle it. I hate what the wind does to my hair.

I tossed my bag to the passenger seat and stuffed the keys into the ignition, warming the car before I started the twenty minute drive home. I turned on the wipers; the windshield was completely covered with the falling rain. Once the heaters kicked in and the windshield was clear, I put the car into drive and carefully made my way off the school's parking lot. I turned on the radio once I had made my way to the main road, letting some fast-beat music blast from the speakers.

I was usually alone, like I prefer to be. All of the girls in my school are too stuck up and/or too caught up in the latest gossip to ever be friends with me. I prefer reading or taking pictures. I've never fit in, but I don't feel the need to change that.

As I drove through the city, which was fairly small, I drummed my fingers on the steering wheel, tapping to the beat of the song. After ten minutes of driving, I started watching for a break in the trees where the short-cut to my house was. Ever since I got my license, I have been exploring the city's back roads. I came across this one over a month ago. It turns a thirty minute ride into a twenty minute one.

Once I found it, I turned in and upped my speed from fifty to seventy. There were trees on either side if the road, which was hardly ever used. An old couple had a cabin up here one time, but when they died, nobody bought the place. As far as I knew, it was only me who used it. About five minutes up the road, there was a turn off that lead to my house. My parents never used this road because they didn't want to scratch up their fancy cars. My car was old and slim, so I didn't have to worry.

The only sounds were the wipers, crunching gravel, and Skrillex coming from the speakers. Unbelievably, I heard a chime from my phone over the blasting song. I reached over to my book bag and tried to unzip the front pocket, but with one hand it wasn't budging. I took a quick glance at my bag and discovered that the zipper was caught in the material. I slowed the car and reached with two hands to free the zipper. I tugged it out of the material and returned one hand to the wheel. I took out my iPhone and glanced at the screen. The text was from my mom, telling me that both she and dad were staying late at work.

When I looked back up at the road, my heart rate quickened. I was on the part of the road where there was a steep incline and the road narrowed out. But that wasn't what made me nervous. There was a dark shadow in the middle of the road, not moving. I jerked the wheel and swerved away from the thing, not able to see if it was human or not. Either way, I was not hitting it with my car.

I tried to go around the figure, but the road was too narrow. One tire went off the road, and apparently that's all it took. Unable to gain control of the car, I watched in horror as I went over the edge of the road, and down into the trees below.

- Greyson's POV -

"Are you ready, man?" Asked Finn, my best friend. "I'm leaving, with or without you."

"Yeah. Just one more." I took another step back as I tossed the ball into the air, watching it arc perfectly and make a satisfying swish as it passed through the basket. I grinned.

"Stop showing off. We all knew you could do it. Now go get changed." Finn pushed my shoulder, ushering me off the court. I jogged to the changing room to change out of my sweaty uniform.