One

29.01.22

'And in the 89th minute, Robin Leran is racing down the left wing towards the goal"

As soon as the ball hit my feet I knew I had just to run, air was escaping my lungs at a rate I had never felt before. But I didn't stop, I couldn't.

After what felt like a lifetime of running, I finally reached the box. Looking over to my right I couldn't see anyone ready for the ball, so I ran with it. There were three defenders surrounding me, I weaved the ball past two of them leaving the third behind as I readied myself to take the shot. I pulled my leg back and went to strike when a force came at me from the left.

I was knocked down to the floor and immediately felt a sharp, burning pain in my shoulder. I began to roll around on the grass pitch in an attempt to find some relief from the sudden pain I was feeling, while at the same time, Villa players had begun to gather around me with some Chelsea players doing the same. 

The referee had blown her whistle and signalled for the medics to come to help me, the pain in my shoulder only growing at a fast rate. As soon as the medics arrived by my side they immediately began checking my shoulder. 

A concerned look grew on one of the medics' faces as he realised what my injury was. 

"Robin, we need to put it back into place" He looked at me with sympathy, whilst handing me a tube almost like gas and air for some pain relief. 

After a few inhales of the pain relief, which was rather strong, I was prepared and feeling very out of it. 

I felt a hand grab the top of my arm, whilst the other held my shoulder.

"Do you want me to count?" The medic asked.

I shook my head, knowing the countdown to one would be the most daunting three seconds. He simply nodded his head and positioned himself, giving a small nod to the other medic to the side of me. 

"Inhale for me Robin" 

As I inhaled the pain relief a strong pull on my arm followed by a pop, I knew that meant it was back into place but the feeling of a joint being pulled back into place was something I never wanted to feel again.

The medics put my arms in a sling and placed me on the stretcher ready to take me off the pitch. Despite the heavy dose of pain relief distorting my senses, I could make out the sounds of the fans in the stadium, all singing my name and cheering. It was nice to know I had their support despite my new injury and failure to secure a goal. 

The medics began walking me towards the medical room but I protested, asking if I could sit on the bench and watch until the end of the match. After some thought, they agreed, as long as I promised they could take me to be examined straight after. 

There was no chance of us winning this match, but my injury had earned us a penalty and I wanted to see that be taken. My injury also earned us 6 minutes of extra time, so after the penalty, there was still a chance of at least one extra goal. 

It was Petzelberger to take the penalty and I had full confidence the German would achieve it. I watched as she prepared herself and waited for the whistle. She took two steps back and raised her arm before running and striking the ball, it perfectly hitting the left corner of the next. The keeper had dived right so there was no chance she was blocking it. 

The players came over and celebrated with me before running back on for the final minutes of an eventful match. As promised I made my way over to the medical room where they advised me to go for a scan at the hospital. 

After a check of my shoulder and a couple of scans, the doctor told me I was out for at least 16 weeks due to the severe damage done to my shoulder. I was heartbroken, it meant I would miss the end of the season.

After being given my timeline, I trained and trained hard. My hope was to make it back for the game against Arsenal on the 1st of May, giving me 13 weeks to be match ready. 

I knew even if I did get fit enough to play the full match, I would at least be able to sit on the bench and be a sub. What hurt me more is that I would miss my chance to be called up for the Euros in the summer. The home Euros at that. 

The last time I played for England was U23 and it was the most fun I have ever had, to be able to represent your country is different to playing in your club. You are put against so many amazing footballers so when you get chosen you feel on top of the world. 

I was 23 now, so if I was to get a call up it would be for the senior team, and that was my only dream right now.

- S