Part 21

We were back on the road, and the Fuentes siblings were back. I was really thankful to be there. Jaime and Tony greeted me with a group hug. We were all happy to see each other. Soon, everything was back to normal.

We started to realize that the tour was coming to a close. As they say, all good things eventually come to an end. I was worried. Would I have to go home after the tour? Would I stay with Vic or Mike? All the questions came rolling in, almost too quickly. I starting wondering if this really was a dream, and I would "wake up" somewhere else soon.

There were only two more shows left, and the band wanted me to be a part of them again. Jaime and Tony promised to keep me safe from any drunken fans. Jaime claims he'll throw something at anyone who seems sketchy. That made me laugh. I could hide my realization behind fake smiles, but everyone knew that I was worried.

"What's going to happen when this is all over?" I finally asked Vic one day, not actually looking at him.

"What do you mean?"

"Where will I go? We won't be on a tour bus forever. Am I going to have to go back home?"

"You realize you're going to have to meet our mother, right?" Mike said, ducking into the room.

"Our mother?" I breathed.

"Yes, we have a mother. And a father. You still need to meet the rest of your family." I forgot that there was more to this. Honestly, I always thought it would just be Vic, Mike, and me. "You still need to finish school, Rene."

School. The place I hated the most. But, maybe a different school would be better. Maybe there would be better people here. It was a chance, and I was going to give it to this place. To the possibility that things could turn around. I was thinking too deeply about everything.

"Come on," Vic said. "We have places to mess around in."

We all went to eat first. That was really important to Jaime, who complained about being too hungry. We all laughed at him, and named foods that he loved. "Finally," he said when we arrived. "You guys can stop making fun of me, now."

We all crowded into a booth, and ate quickly, a skill I learned on this tour. Soon enough, we were back in the bus and headed for a "fun place," according to Vic.

"You'll see," he said every time I asked him where we were going.

"I don't like surprises," I confessed.

"Don't be so dramatic," Vic wailed. "That's my job."