III

Morning comes with clear skies. Anya sits up on the daybed and stretches. She's never been one to waste the day. Anya notices her own scent as she moves her arms above her head to take off her shirt. She cringes. Her mother always told her, "If you can smell yourself, everyone else can smell you too." Anya is a lady and a lady bathes. Anya doubts the pirates bathe much, if at all. There's probably not much hope of finding a tub. Much less a way to warm it.

They are in the ocean. A whole body of water, free of charge and warm from the sun. Anya pulled the shirt back onto herself.  Getting up and grabbing fresh clothes to change into and stepped out of the room. With what she learned from her exploration yesterday, she figures it'll be easy enough while the boat is stationary, to climb down the side and around to the bow, to the mouth-like design on the front of the ship. 

She makes her way on deck, noting they had stopped near an island. The water will be shallow and perfect for a bath. Anya gently climbs over the side of the ship. No one pays her any mind. She appreciates that. The large ship will block her from view and she'll just be quick. Climbing around the side of the ship, already mostly out of view. Slipping her hands and feet into whatever crevices are available. Some man-made for repairing purposes and some from light damage.  She's grateful for all that tree climbing she did as a child, that her mother scolded her for. It's quite a ways down but she eventually, with some trial but thankfully no error, makes her way onto the jaws of the Dutchman. Or she supposes they're jaws? The sharp rows of tooth like decoration that are taller than her are elaborate and unnecessary but shelter her completely from view.  She undresses quickly and carefully lays her clothes in a secure spot.  Anya hastily gains her footing to stand and dive into the water.  Not wanting to be seen.  Once she breaks the surface, she starts to bathe. No flowers or oils for her hair but she'll take the salted water without complaint.

Some time passes. Anya's not sure how long. Enjoying her peace and quiet.

"Are ye out of yer fucking mind?"

The loud demand makes Anya jump. She turns and sees Davy seething in the water several feet away from her. The waters deep enough to cover her to her shoulders but Davy stands with it only to his waist.

"Bloody he- I was- I just... Do you mind?" She nearly yells. Out of breath from the startle he gave her.

"Do I mind? How about the crew of cursed pirates? I'm sure they won't mind."

Anya narrows her eyes. Bringing her arms up to cover herself instinctively. "I though- I thought you couldn't see me from up there."

"It doesn't matter! When we anchor, I let the men out to swim, even walk about the islands. Any one of them could come down here and see you."

Oh.

Fuck. 

He steps forward. The water sloshing away from his thick strides. "What're ye doing down her, naked?" His voice nearly cracks at the word.

Her voice is small. "Taking a bath?"

"A what?" He snaps

"A bath!"  She snaps back.  "I'm a lady and I like to be clean!"

His eyes soften. They start to drop to where her bare shoulders meet the water before he stops himself. Roughly snapping his head away, tentacles twitching, Davy catches sight of her clothes hanging off of the ship. He spawns to the mouth of the ship, grabbing the articles and spawning back.   He throws them back at her with a command to dress. He keeps his back to her as she obeys.  Embarrassed and frustrated. Once dressed in the pants and dark shirt, she let's him know so.

He slowly turns and his eyes narrow at her. "How did you get down here by yerself?"

She glances up at the path she'd taken.