X

"The c-cat, atta..."

"Not quite, remember what we said about a vowel when there's an E at the end?"

"Ate! The cat ate the ra-at."

"Very good!"

"Th-th-the ra-ra-rat ate the h-h-h-hat."

Anya tensed at the mocking tone of Beckett's men. Morey's face falls in an uncommon expression of shame. It's not their faults. Most of them had either never learned or forgotten how to read after so many years of service on the Dutchman. Some were eager to learn and she was happy to teach. But it's becoming impossible in this environment. Not for the crew... for Anya.

More quickly than she should have, Anya noticed the heavy brick lying useless by the door. She felt her anger bubbling up in her and faster than she's moved before, stood, striding forward, unbeknownst to the laughing guard and lifted the weapon up and back with surprising ease.

"I implore you, Ms. Wright." The voice from above stopped her action. She had forgotten herself and the many eyes on the ship. Especially the ones above her. Beckett starring down smug. Davy simply observing. He probably wouldn't have blinked twice if she had bashed the man's head in. The man in question and his friend finally take notice of her at Beckett's words. Horror written across their faces at how close she came while he laughed with his back to her.

"Consider the state of your Captain's heart before bringing injury upon my men over the honor of some deranged, depraved, pirates." He spit each adjective as if it they were equally horrid things to be.

Anya drops her weapon obediently. But there's nothing she can do to cover the scowl on her face. Keeping her eye's reluctantly locked with Beckett's.

A winning smile speads on his face but just before he let's go of the railing and victoriously steps away, she speaks.

"I implore you, Lord Beckett. Those deranged, depraved, pirates, are not always the most terrifying thing on this ship."

Anya turns and makes her way to her room. Not interested in playing with Beckett any longer and unfortunately forgetting all about Morey and their lesson. But the hums, words and laughs of approval from the crew that sound are not lost on her ears before she makes her way to her sought out safe space and slams the door... And neither is the proud smirk on that tentacled face.

_________________

Hours later, after Anya had finished seething in silence, she remembers how abruptly she left Morey and their lesson.  She quickly changes into a more comfortable white shirt and a pair of pants and makes her way out of her room into the gray light of an almost stormy evening.

"Morey." She called to him as he walked away across the deck from her.

The eel like head turned to face her. Lighting up at her presence.

She rushes over apology already on her lips. "I am so sorry for abandoning our lesson like that earlier today, Morey. I'm afraid I forgot myself in my anger."

"It's alright, M'lady." He smiles. Or what Anya thinks is the eel equivalent of a smile.

A burst of thunder stops their conversation as the crew prepares to hit rough seas. Anya finds Davy on the top deck arguing with Mercer. Beckett must have already retreated to his own ship.

"This would be much easier if we could go below the surface." Jones spits.

"And drown my men?" Mercer snarls.

"They wouldn't drown you fool but they might get seasick." Davy spit it like a threat leaning into Mercer.

"Captain." Anya grips his arm for his attention. Which he immediately gives her.