01 Pilot

Ivyanah

"Come on, Ivyanah! We're already running late for our train!" shouted my first best friend, Niyati.

"I already told her to pack everything beforehand but here we are" joined in my other best friend, Dhwani.

I met these two during my first year of college and instantly connected with them. We have been living together ever since.

"Laptop and chargers-check, Earphones-check, My novel-check, Clothes and toiletries-check, I'm ready!" I shouted signalling them to check for doors and windows. Within minutes we were out of our flat locking and double-checking everything.

We booked a cab for the station. It was going to be the first trip we would take together. We had been looking forward to this trip and the excitement was palpable. Since it was a night journey, I wore my favourite beige co-ord set. It took us thirty minutes to travel, and we reached the station ten minutes before the train was about to leave.

We hurried to check for our seat numbers and placed our suitcases under the train seats. Unfortunately, I had a last-minute reservation which meant my seat was in a different compartment from my two friends.

Finally, the train departed from the station and we were on our way to Dehradun. Our entire college had been accommodated in 3 coaches.

As the train began to move, we all settled, eagerly anticipating the adventures that lay ahead. Our whole batch was sitting together, playing games, singing songs and eating snacks that we brought along.

Soon it was midnight and knowing we have a long day ahead of us, we made our way towards our seats. When I reached mine, I saw a boy seated there with his undivided attention on his laptop and headphones in his ears.

"Excuse me, this is my seat," I said but I realised the volume of his headphones was much louder than I expected. I waved my hands in front of him, and he looked up from his laptop.

I indicated that the seat was mine. He looked at me for a moment before drifting off, lost in thought.

He stared at me.

I stared at him.

We both stared at each other.

Finally, he snapped out of his reverie, pulled his headphones down, and took a paper from his pocket. He looked at it for a moment then handed it to me.

Hesitantly, I took the paper from him and realized that it was the train ticket. To my dismay, we had been assigned the same seat number and 'RAC' was written at the top of it.

"We're on waiting, did you see the TT". I asked him but he simply shook his head.

Oh God! What am I gonna do, Niyati and Dhwani are also asleep. I looked around and saw that every berth was taken. Despite my call to the trip coordinator, he informed me that due to the last-minute reservation, we were placed on the waiting list. He advised us to wait for TT. Shrugging I sat at the opposite end of the boy and decided to wait for our TT.

To distract myself, I pulled out 'Twisted Love' from my backpack and started reading it. After a while, I decided to break the ice. What should I start with- 'hey! What's your name' or 'Which department you're in'?

I finally spoke up and said, "Hi! I'm Ivyanah."

He looked up from his computer and replied, "I'm Shivesh." He extended his hand towards me and had a light smile on his face. I returned the handshake with a bright smile of mine. He was dressed in a black round-collar t-shirt and light grey sweatpants. His dark brown messy hair complemented his wheatish-fair complexion.

"I am from the history department, you must be from IT?". He studies history the same as my parents.

"History, That's pretty interesting. My parents were archaeologists, and they studied history too."

As soon as the words left my mouth, I felt a wave of sadness wash over me. Memories of my parents flooded my mind, and I couldn't help but feel a sense of longing for them. They had passed away when I was young, and I had never had the chance to meet them. I grew up with my uncle, aunt and two of my cousins.

"Are you okay?" He would have studied my expression, noticing the change in my demeanour.

Looking up I said," Yeah, I am alright."

"And yes, I am from IT Department. By the way, how did you know?" I asked him.

He was thinking for a moment and then replied, "I have seen you a few times in competitions and in the canteen."

I nodded in understanding and tried concentrating on my novel now. Every now and then I could catch him watching me.

At last, the TT arrived and despite begging him for an extra berth, he denied us stating that none were available. Sighing and looking at my companion, I decided against sleep. Keeping my book down, I plugged my earphones and was looking out the window. It was 2 A.M. and we would be arriving at Dehradun at 4:45 A.M.

I was drowsy and by mutual consent, I kept my legs on his side of the seat and stretched them. It was relaxing and I started dozing off every now and then. During one such nap, my gaze fell upon an odd object that was hovering in the dark expanse. It was like a plane or machine roaming. I even asked Shivesh through my rambling what it is. His reaction was strange - it appeared to be either scared or panicked, or maybe it was just my sleepy mind unable to discern his emotions. he simply replied, "I don't see anything." I ignored it and fell back asleep.

Hey Guys! Do let me know your views on the first chapter and please vote if you like the story