05 The College

Ivyanah

It's been two days since I returned from Dehradun and today we are finally making our way towards the college.

As we walked, I turned to Dhwani and asked, "When will you leave for Mumbai?"
"The joining date is a week after our college fest, so I'll be leaving after the fest."

After our examinations, we have to complete a two-month summer internship. Dhwani would be leaving for Mumbai as her joining location is Mumbai and Niyati is blessed with a work-from-home opportunity.

My case is different. I am still waiting to hear back about an offer letter for the role of a Data Analyst. I love the mystery and interesting analysis that come with data. Python, SQL and Tableau are my strong companions. I can sit and explore data for hours which is why I am particular about my role in an internship.

Niyati chimed in, "Yes, I will also leave after the fest."

I couldn't help but make an unusual and sad face, "So, I will be left here alone," I said with a sigh.

But Niyati quickly responded, "No, we will make sure to accompany you on all the hot news with video calls and chats," and she gave me a playful wink. I smiled at her words, as we walked into the college together.

Our college has a total of eight buildings, each designated to specific departments such as IT, CS, Mechanical, Commerce, Science, and more. One of the most enchanting places on campus is the library, a massive structure filled with books, magazines, and online resources that students could use to study, research, and learn. The library has several floors, and each floor is designed to cater to a specific area of study. There are quiet reading rooms, collaborative workspaces, and even private study pods where students can focus on their work without any distractions. The library is my personal favourite place.

Apart from the library, the college also has other essential amenities such as a temple, cafeteria, garden, and sports facilities.

As we entered the college, we were greeted with the usual bustling of people, Students standing in groups, laughing and having fun before they entered their classes. This was the fun thing about college- no one would pinpoint your attire, there was no compulsion to attend classes except for the fact that we need 75% attendance, and we could bunk college and have fun with our friends.

The day progressed like any other day in college. I attended our coding lessons and lectures on data structures and algorithms. The coding lesson was intense, and we spent hours working on a complicated problem. The room was filled with the sound of tapping keyboards and murmured discussions as we worked to crack the problem at hand.

I haven't seen Shivesh since his last blow-up, and I certainly wasn't expecting to see him when he suddenly appeared in front of me in the library garden.

As an avid reader, I often found solace in issuing books from the library and sitting on the grass. The garden was always peaceful, and the wet grass beneath my feet was always a welcome sensation.

As the sun began to set, I closed my eyes and allowed the warm little sunshine rays to soothe my face. That was when I heard a rustling sound and a tall figure with broad shoulders suddenly stood in the path of the sunlight. It was Shivesh.

He came over and sat near me, holding a small bouquet of daisies and roses. I was surprised by his presence and his gesture.

He offered me the bouquet.

The bouquet

I raised my eyes

I raised my eyes.

"This is for you," he said softly.

I blushed internally and maybe a little on the outside. I mean who doesn't love flowers?

Still, I didn't want to let him off the hook too easily, so I put up a bit of a stubborn front. "What for?" I asked, trying to keep my tone as neutral as possible. "For yelling at me, being an ass, or making me feel awful?"

Shivesh looked down at the ground, his expression guilty. "I know I can be an ass sometimes," he said quietly. "And my actions were lamentable. I never wanted to yell at you, but there are certain situations that are very personal and sometimes dangerous. I didn't want anybody to get involved in that. I hope you understand."

His words left me feeling a little confused, but I could tell that there was more he wanted to say. I decided to let him have his space, and instead, I focused on the flowers that were now in my hands.

"Thank you," I said softly, still admiring the flowers in my hands. "They're lovely."

After a moment of silence, I looked back up at Shivesh and saw that he was smiling at me.

Oh, wait! I saw something on that face.

It was a dimple

He has a fucking dimple.

I have never seen that before on him.

Shivesh nodded, his smile growing a little wider. "I'm glad you like them," he said. "I hope we can put all of this behind us and move on."

I nodded my agreement and it was the start of our friendship. We used to see each other in the canteen, and the library garden was our favourite place to hang out.

—---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I walked towards my flat, I could hear the sound of loud chatter coming from inside. It seemed like my flatmates, Niyati and Dhwani, were in the middle of a discussion.

As I opened the door, I saw them sitting on the couch, their faces serious.

"No, let's have a low-key celebration at the terrace," yelled Niyati. "We'll sit under the stars and watch a movie."

Dhwani, on the other hand, said, "No, partying is fun. We'll dance and get drunk."

I was too tired to join in. "We are going nowhere, I am tired and I need sleep," I said, hoping they would let me off the hook.

But Dhwani was having none of it. "No way, it is not even an option," she said, "this would be one of our last nights together and you will not spoil it."

I knew she was right. This was a special night that we would all remember for a long time. As I looked at these two, I felt emotional. I would be here alone for the time being.

"Let's get drunk tonight," I said with a cheerful smile, feeling my spirits lift up.