Chapter Six

My heart beat sped up as Cotal walks over to us. His beautiful emerald green eyes were filled with tears.
"Si. It's your Mom" He says, and at that exact moment, I dropped everything and ran out the tavern. I ran as fast as I could home, and ran inside to Moms room. She ways laying in her bed, and honestly didn't look the greatest. I knew Mom was older, but I never expected this. I get to Moms side as Ragnarok and Cotal both enter the room. I sit down in the chair next to her bed.
"Hey. Hey. I'm here" I say softly, putting my hand in hers.
"Siris" She says happily, but weakly. Ragnarok stood on her other side, while Cotal stood at the door still. I knew Moms time was coming to an end, but I didn't expect now.
"Listen my love" She says softly, squeezing my hand.
"Sweetie. Please do me a favor. I'm not going to be around for much longer... I want you to run the tavern for me" She says weakly. My heart shattered as I nodded slowly.
"You've become a fine young man. The tavern means everything to me. You're so good with making weapons... I want you to have it. To continue it for me" she says shakily, smiling. I nod.
"I will. I promise" I say softly.
"One more thing..." she says softly.
"Take care of that sweet girl. Birdie. She's something special" she says shakily. I nod as tears fall.
"I love you my son. We'll meet again" she says softly, smiling big before closing her eyes for the last time. My heart shattered, feeling the life leave her body. I heard the small sobs come from Ragnarok and Cotal, before my own sobs covered theirs. I got up and left the house. As soon as I got outside my whole body collapsed. I fell to my knees and continued to ball my eyes out. She was the only parent figure I had after losing my parents. She was everything to me. But now, now her tavern is in my hands. It truly ached thinking about it. I hear someone run to me and they sit down. I look up and it was Lauren. She hugs me tightly as I cried in her arms.
"My Mom.... She's" I start.
"It's okay. She ain't hurting anyone. She's in the heavens. I'm here, okay?" She says as I hear the door behind me open. Ragnarok and Cotal sit down next to me.
"Siris. I'm going to need you to leave and head to the tavern. You as well Cotal. Mazikeen should be there now as well" Ragnarok says softly. I nodded and stood up, letting go of Lauren and just leaving. I walked fast to the tavern, while Cotal and Lauren followed behind me. As soon as I opened the door, Mazikeen looked up from the counter and saw me. She was sitting on the counter and her face it up, but then fell after seeing me. Tears started to fall more as I walked faster to her and pulled her into a big hug. She hugged me back as tightly as she could.
"Si... Si... What's wrong?" She asks. But it just made me sob more. I feel a hand go to my shoulder. I knew the touch almost instantly, it was Cotal. He lays his head on my shoulder next, and rubs my back. I couldn't say those words, especially to her.
"Sometimes things happen we can't control" I started, letting her go and giving her a small smile.
"Something just happened. I'm not that happiest right now. But it'll be okay. I'll be okay" I say, placing a hand to her cheek and kissing her forehead. She nodded.
"I just want you okay" She says shakily. I nod and take my hand off her cheek.
"I know sunflower. But I'm okay" I say softly. I hear the door open again and look back. Ragnarok stood by the door. He looks up to me and walks to me. He hold out his hand to me, and I place my hand underneath his. He drops what feels like a necklace into my hand. He gives me a saddened smile, and moves his hand. It was my Mother amethyst pendant necklace. Tears started to fall more as I closed my hand around the gemstone. I look at him and give him a small smile and he gave it right back. Ragnarok then looks to Lauren.
"Don't think we've met. I'm Ragnarok, that's Cotal, you already know Siris, and then my little sister Mazikeen" Ragnarok says. I look at Lauren and she smiles.
"I'm Lauren. I just moved to Whiterun a few days ago" She says. Ragnarok nods, then looks to me.
"Everything's... been dealt with... If you don't want to be here right now, I understand" He says. I nod.
"I'd rather be here right now" I say softly. He nods. We all then get to work. I tried to tough it out through the night but it was difficult. At eleven, me and Lauren were the only people in the tavern. She walks up to me once I enter the restaurant part of the tavern.
"Come home with me. Let me help you get your mind off of this" She says, giving me that desperate look of hers. I nod and agreed to go home with her. But her idea of getting my mind off of it, was sex. Honestly, it was whatever. I had hoped for more comfort, especially after we were done. But she fell asleep instantly after, and I snuck out to head home. I headed home, only to find two boxes in the living room with the words "Davis" on both. Ragnarok had brought over the boxes of paperwork his parents left behind. I thought, why not, and started digging into them. I sat there for a while, reading each paper, until one catches my eye. It was an anatomy sheet, for a winged folk. It showed everything, the mussels, the bones, everything. It was odd, but once I put that paper down in a separate pile, the next one shocked me completely. It was a written document of secrecy between both of Ragnarok's parents. The document of secrecy, was the fact Ragnarok's Mother, Maria Davis, had wings. It shocked me completely, and the more I read, the more I understood and realized it. Both Maria and Trevor signed it, to keep the fact Maria had wings a secret from everyone, including their eldest son, Ragnarok. But after Mazikeen was born, the secret was out, which made so much sense now on why Maria asked Ragnarok to make sure nobody picked on her because of her wings. The next page, was a drawing of Maria, with wings. They were red and black, matching Mazikeen's completely. Maria's wings were black, then faded into a dark burgundy color. I kept going through everything, and the more I found, the more I was shocked. Mazikeen's race is a race that was annihilated years ago. Maria seemed to be the only one who survived, she married, had children, but one had her physical ability. I grabbed each peice of paper that indicated that Maria had wings, as well as the document of secrecy and left my house. I walked to Ragnarok's house. I knocked lightly on the door, and Ragnarok answered. I saw Cotal behind him sitting on the couch.
"Hey. Everything okay?" He asks. I nod.
"I said I'd come to you if I found out anything. I just found out a lot" I say. Ragnarok's eyes widen and he nods, letting me in.
"I was right. Mazikeen's race is a separate race. They are called the Winged folk from what I found. The whole race has been annihilated for years now. Do you want to know why she has wings?" I say. Ragnarok nods. I hand him the documents and he starts reading.
"Mazikeen has your Mothers physical ability" I say as his eyes widen and he flips through the papers.
"By the Gods" Ragnarok says. I nod.
"Yeah. Honestly didn't know I'd find all this, but I had to come to you" I say. He nods.
"Thanks. But Siris. This has to stay between us" He says looking up to me. My eyes widen.
"What? This is about your sister, Ragnarok. You aren't going to tell her?" I ask. He shakes his head.
"And neither are you. This. Stays. Between. Us" He says, pausing after a couple of words.
"Ragnarok..." I say softly.
"I don't want her knowing this. You don't realize what you've brought me, do you?" He asks. I shake my head.
"Only what I found out about the winged folk" I say.
"You missed one" He says, handing me a piece of paper. I read it. What I read, answered my question about Mazikeen.
"They knew?!" I ask angered now.
"They knew" He repeats.