Chapter 7

Jungkook watched as Chaeyoung's eyes grew wide and her gloomy face changed to bright the moment the food was served one by one. A smile almost broke free on his face at how her eyes shone and were locked onto the food, and it was as if the previous incident hadn't happened. The look on her face was so priceless that he almost didn't want to bring up what happened at the cafe earlier, but he needed to know.

"What was that all about?" he asked carefully and slowly, a little part of him regretted when her expression changed. A furrow between her brows said so much without a word needed to tell him that just the existence of the man earlier was the source of discomfort for her.

"That's Mr. Lee," she began. "He's from a different department. Married but always shooting his shots at me."

Jungkook did notice that the man had a wedding band. He definitely overheard his question about her dress, too, and that had made Jungkook stay to listen with his jaw locked. Curiosity got to him as his mind began predicting what exactly had caused the man to risk his status as a married man.

Chaeyoung was obviously pretty. Even the word pretty seemed not enough to use on her. And even 'beautiful' felt like an understatement, that he had to admit though he wouldn't out loud. It wouldn't be a surprise if Mr. Lee admitted that he had fallen for her beauty alone. But it definitely was more than that, but what was it?

Was it the luxurious sound of her laughter? Her effortlessly sultry voice? Her addicting smile?

Jungkook shut his eyes for a second to slap himself mentally. Addicting? Please. What was he thinking?

"What did you do to him?"

"Nothing!" she exhaled a deep sigh. "Ever since that one time, one time, when I was being nice for holding the elevator for him, he never stopped trying to pursue me..."

He frowned. "Pursue you how?"

Chaeyoung was silent for a moment, her forehead creased as she seemed to list down the things that man had done. "Well, at first he didn't seem sketchy and I thought he was just being nice when he gave me food vouchers."

Jungkook stayed quiet as he watched the way her face changed before she resumed. "But then, it got weirder. Like... one time, he asked me out during the weekend because his weekend was 'boring'. Then, he asked me to join him for a drink with his male colleagues from his department. Once I went to a club with a couple friends and met him there, he insisted to buy me drinks—"

"Did you let him? Did you drink with him?" he asked, not realizing how he'd cut her off mid sentence.

Her brows furrowed as her face contorted into a mixture of fear and disgust. "I didn't. Never. He gives me the creep. I would never accept any of his offers."

Jungkook made a mental note to run a background check on that man, and maybe send someone to tail him to see if he would follow her around too. He said he'd never seen Chaeyoung on a date before. Judging by the way Chaeyoung had stiffened at that statement made by that old fart, that must have been disturbing to her.

If he had been stalking her, why did he have to miss the very night that Chaeyoung had a date with Jungkook? Maybe if he'd seen it, he'd think that she was finally taken and would stop pursuing her. Or did he actually witness how the night ended? Well, damn it.

"Can I eat?" she asked, her eyes round as she looked at him through her lashes and Jungkook's throat bobbed as he swallowed a sudden lump filling in his throat. He flicked his gaze away, nodding his head and reached for his drink.

"Did you think the food was for display?" he muttered and heard her scoffing.

"At least I am polite enough to ask before I pig out." She pushed her hair to the back, exposing her neck and Jungkook had to look away again when she leaned forward to take a whiff of the food before she scooted the seat forward.