Chapter 8

Chaeyoung stopped brushing her teeth when her eyes caught the sight of the ring on her finger, shining under the lights. I'm engaged. It didn't surprise her that she was now engaged to someone whom she had only known for such a short time. That was expected when you were born into a family that practiced arranged marriage like they were still in the ancient times. What really took herself by surprise was the fact that she had been engaged to someone she couldn't quite stand.

She had honestly hoped that it would be with someone she would feel attracted to, at the very least, on the first meeting.

First impressions mattered, and Jeon Jungkook left such a bad one on her to the point she had wished that the first time she met him would be the last. As Chaeyoung grew older, the list of people that she wanted to avoid the most kept changing. The first time Jungkook entered the list, he took the first spot and never left since.

Yet, here she was, wearing the engagement ring that Jungkook himself had put on her right after she signed the agreement.

Was it wise to get engaged and possibly marry the man who irritated her to save herself from Mr. Lee's continuous questionable efforts to pursue her? As the time ticked away, getting closer and closer to the first dinner she would be having with her soon-to-be in-laws, Chaeyoung began to question herself more and more of her decision to sign her life away to becoming Jeon Jungkook's wife.

Though, she did notice some small changes right after she was engaged to him. She had tried pretending to scratch her nose just to show the engagement ring when Mr. Lee greeted her, but the latter seemed to either not notice it or he didn't care. Chaeyoung cursed Jungkook in her mind because that so-called tactic of his wasn't working when Mr. Lee followed her, asking if she wanted to grab some lunch with him.

She had almost thrown the ring in frustration, feeling tricked to be engaged to Jungkook by trusting that the ring was a solution to drive Mr. Lee away. She had almost taken it off her finger if her eyes hadn't noticed Jungkook waiting beside her car, scrolling through his phone.

Chaeyoung had even forgotten that she was wearing heels when she started running toward him, and her clacking heels caught his attention as he finally looked up from his phone. Chaeyoung had to mentally praise Jungkook when his acting came out smoothly the moment she signaled him with her eyes and he had immediately glanced toward Mr. Lee, shooting daggers that the old creep stopped in his tracks.

Mr. Lee had sort of avoided going into the same elevator on the next day. Previously, even when the elevator was already packed, Mr. Lee would squeeze himself in whenever he spotted her inside.

Chaeyoung stared at the engagement ring for a moment. She didn't know if it was a wise decision to marry Jungkook just for that reason alone, but for now, maybe it was the right one.

Just right after she was done with her makeup, her phone buzzed and Chaeyoung glanced to see Jungkook's name on the screen with two texts.

Annoying Jeon: i'm here

Annoying Jeon: u done?

Chaeyoung immediately grabbed her handbag and walked out her house, feeling slightly nervous as though it would be her first-time meeting Jungkook's parents. Maybe because both their parents weren't aware that they were now engaged, and Jungkook decided to surprise his parents at this dinner. She refused to think what her parents would say or how they'd react, especially after just telling them she refused to marry Jungkook. At least, she wouldn't be meeting her parents tonight. She'd deal with them sometime later.

She saw Jungkook standing outside of his car, one hand in his pocket and another was holding his phone, the device pressed against his ear as he paced right beside his car. Then, her phone buzzed in her hand, and she furrowed her brows when she saw his name.