Chapter 25

"Are you sure we're going the right way?"

"This is the third time you asked that question, Chaeyoung." Jungkook sighed as he passed her bag to his other hand that was already holding his own bag to take her hand. "And my answer will not change," he said as he pulled her up while she climbed up the huge rock.

"We've been walking for over 15 minutes and the sky is going dark," she grunted and let his hand go once she stood steadily. "And I've been following you blindly and we still haven't found that 'help'. So excuse me for asking the same question over and over again."

"We just need to exit this forest and we'll get that help."

"I think I asked you the wrong question." Chaeyoung looked around anxiously, realizing how far they had walked. "Do you even know where you're going?"

Jungkook pointed to the ground. "Look. That's clearly a trail. Someone must have used this path so I'm sure we'll find the exit by following it."

She stared at the trail he was referring to. Sure, it did look like a pathway but it didn't look like it was recently used either. It must have been at least a decade of neglect by the people who used to walk that path since nature had already claimed its territory, leaving some parts of the trail to be barely recognizable beneath the overgrown grasses and wild plants.

"I think if we actually followed the road by foot, for 15 minutes of walking, we would find someone, anyone who can help."

Jungkook took a deep breath and sighed heavily. "Then why are you here? Why did you follow me if you think you can find any help by using that road?"

Chaeyoung rolled her eyes. "Because you insist on taking this path! And I don't want to be left alone. I don't even have any idea where you're taking me." She groaned as she looked around and saw no way out. "You know, I'm starting to think that you're kidnapping me."

Scoffing, Jungkook shook his head and asked, "You follow me and you call that kidnapping?"

"You tricked me into following you."

"I tricked you?" Jungkook asked in disbelief, tilting his head.

Chaeyoung stopped walking when he did. Crossing her arms, she waited until he turned to look at her. "You created fear so you didn't have to force me to follow you."

He stared at her for a moment before he let out a chuckle. "Go back to the car then."

"I don't want to be alone," she pouted and she noticed how his eyes briefly flicked to her mouth before he looked away.

As they walked deeper into the woods, and the sound of crickets beginning to get louder, Chaeyoung turned around but could no longer see where they came from. It got darker and a moment later, she heard a subtle sound of thunder. "Oh god, it's going to rain."

"Less talking, keep moving."

She scoffed and mocked him from behind, but it was as though he had eyes at the back of his head that he suddenly turned. "What?" She feigned innocence and Jungkook briefly narrowed his eyes at her. "Get moving, Mr. Jeon," she smiled and gestured to him to start moving. "Please, lead the way."

Jungkook only shook his head and started to move again with her following from behind. Just then, Chaeyoung's ears registered rustling sounds from behind her that her heartbeat quickened, and without a second thought, her hand reached for him but could only manage to grab the back of his shirt before she slipped.

It was all thanks to Jungkook's steady stance, his high quality shirt and her tight grip that she wasn't already rolling and tumbling down the small hill. Jungkook whipped his head with furrowed brows. "You okay?"