Chapter 16

Jungkook closed his laptop when the doorbell rang, the corner of his lips slightly turning upward as he walked out of his study room. When he stood right in front of the monitor expecting Chaeyoung to wait patiently for the door to open, his smile dropped when he saw that Chaeyoung wasn't alone.

He instantly reached for the door and swiftly swung it open, revealing a startled Chaeyoung and a smiley delivery man whose attention was still on Chaeyoung for a few seconds before he turned to Jungkook.

The delivery man gave Jungkook a polite smile when he handed the food Jungkook had ordered, unlike the one he'd given Chaeyoung during their little interaction outside his door. Jungkook gave a short nod and a brief thank you as he took the food from the man before slipping his bandaged hand into hers, pulling an obviously confused Chaeyoung inside with him, leaving the door to close on the delivery man with a faltered smile.

Jungkook realized it a little too late that he was still holding her as they walked into the kitchen, only realizing that their hands were linked when he felt her pulling her hand off him.

"Have you actually paid him?"

He sighed hard, making a turn toward his study room to grab some cash, cursing himself mentally at how it was even possible that the simplest thing to do had slipped off his mind the moment he saw his fiancée and the delivery man were having a small talk but looking like they'd known each other for a while. Jungkook lightly groaned to himself.

When he went out of his study room with the cash, he heard soft laughter and just as he expected, Chaeyoung was at the door, talking to the delivery man. She closed the door by the time he arrived by her side and Jungkook frowned seeing the smile that stuck on her face.

Jungkook gently pushed her away from the door before he rushed out. The delivery man hadn't gone that far and Jungkook caught up to him easily, pushing forward his hand with the money.

"Oh, Chaeyoung paid for it."

Chaeyoung? Jungkook pushed his tongue against his cheek. Who was this man calling her Chaeyoung?

"My fiancée paid?"

He noticed disappointment flashed in the man's eyes when he realized Chaeyoung's current status, and Jungkook tried not to display a proud smile at the reaction that had pleased him.

"Uh... yeah. Yes. She's paid for it," the man confirmed.

Jungkook went back inside, finding Chaeyoung getting excited over the food he'd ordered, preparing them on the table.

"I already said I'm paying," he complained, sitting across from her.

Chaeyoung scrunched her face at him. "Really? You just took the food and ran off with it, though."

"Funny," he deadpanned.

He didn't think he was that curious about the delivery man. Maybe he asked for her name while she was waiting for Jungkook to open the door and had a little empty conversation that made the guy think he was someone in Chaeyoung's life. After all, Chaeyoung seemed to be pretty friendly with everyone and she would treat them well even if it was their first meeting.

Everyone but Jungkook.

His question, though, defeated himself when it came randomly while they were in the middle of eating lunch.

"You know him?"

Chaeyoung's chopsticks paused midair, her eyes slightly rounded in curiosity and Jungkook had to look back at his food as he waited for her answer.

"Who?"

Jungkook had to hold back his frustration. He was sure she knew who he was talking about. "That delivery guy."